re: Best signs with Miami

Well that didn't take long.  I spoke to Wallace today
(and wrote a summary to the list -- I don't know why
it didn't post.  What gives, Paul?)  Anyway, he said
that the team wouldn't go a penny above the minimum,
and that he expected miami to offer Best half of the midlevel
exception.   Could you hate Paul Gaston any more?

The interesting thing he said is that if Best didn't come through,
he thought the team might forget about a PG entirely, unless the
guy was a real difference-maker.  It didn't sound like he was
really into Hardaway or the other guys...he said the team might
get another power forward.  They only have four  C/PFs on the roster now
and most teams keep five.  Four PGs is a lot, and they want to give
Bremer a shot.  He also thinks Williams could be better than Dana
Barros.  I asked him if the team might get an enforcer type to replace
vitaly, and Wallace said he thinks the "cop" is overrated; that a big man
needs to be more than a goon -- has to bring some shooting or rebounding
to the table.  There will definitely be one more guy signed, but he doesn't
know when it will be.

Josh