re: I may throw up

From: "Josh Ozersky" <jozersky1@xxxxxxxxxx>

Pepe Sanchez

repeat til the page is full, printer...
Yeah. That whole game was weak. The USA's interior defense was porous and the Argentines had numerous easy layups. That just sucked. Sure, the refs made some bad calls, especially near the end, but the USA lost it early and then couldn't come back. And, Argentina played a damn fine game.
So, there you have it. I couldn't believe I was agreeing with Tom Tolbert (that's gotta be a first), but he was right about the USA's lack of vision on the defensive end. Argentines were cutting to the basket all night.

I'm usually not the rah-rah, nationalistic type, but I do like to get into world competition, seeing as how it's "only" sports and all. I know this sounds bad, but losing to Argentina really bites. I know they have a couple of really talented guys, but so do we! The fact is, they played like a team more, probably because they get more time to actually play like a team. And they really took advantage of the FIBA rules about being able to touch the ball when it's above the rim. Well, the rule's there to take advantage of. Hard to blame the Americans for that, though, because it's difficult to change a basic way that you've played the game for years and years.

I wonder what the ramifications of this loss will be? I don't know how the tournament is set up, but I guess it's likely that we'll see a US-Argentina gold medal game. But, beyond that, I wonder. Americans hate to lose. Especially in basketball.

Bird