FW: [Celtics' Stuff Josh's latest column - HOOPSWORLD

"Personally, I don't like inside-out basketball, and think our talent better
suited! to a motion offense structured around Antoine Walker's passing; with
lots of fast breaks, back cuts, and weak-side penetration. But then what do
I know? Everyone seems to feel that the Celtics need low-post scoring, and
there's no doubt that a little will go a long way."

Josh
****************
    Everyone?   Not where I come from Josh. The talk at "Celtics Stuff" is
all about "motion," or the lack of and the total folly of the; dribble over
half court, pass the loaf of bread to Antoine, to shoot, or isolate Paul on
the left wing offense, that O'Brien rode into the sunset of a late round
playoff loss, when they were beaten by a team that did run and got way too
many easy baskets, for our moribund offense to outscore, when we weren't
hitting 60% of our threes.
   If Antoine was truly looking to create for his teammates, why do they all
stand around, when he gets the ball? Walker never wanted to run the wing and
only a point guard who controls the ball on the move, can generate a motion
offense. Sure, you might see a few missed assignments, but the zone defense,
once it sets up, won't allow those easy baskets, unless the point guard is
moving that defense, with his own motion.
   No, I loathe that mentality and hate the trade. My biggest anxiety is
over the next five years, when to stay under the luxury tax, we will be
jettisoning more and more talent to acquire more rejects and "practice
players," to fill out the squad, pregnant with the three maximum contracts,
with the likelihood, that only two of them will be worthy and that our style
of play is sealed, even as the trend in the league will be to follow the
Kings and the Nets, towards the exciting style that is most likely to
overcome the more and more complex zones that will be devised.
   No, I despise the fact, that not only didn't we acquire the needed back
up point guard to keep what little motion we had to our offense from
disappearing when Anderson went to the bench, but now we don't even have
one. This could get pretty ugly and we'd be back to the M.L. era and the
un-tradeable contract, of Baker, hanging around the next coaches neck.
   No, I don't prefer the "inside out" game, to motion, but at this point,
after the mortal wound of that  franchise wrecking draft and the potentially
fatal trade for Baker, our only hope seems to be that we get some easy
baskets somehow and that Baker, who never liked playing center and who
shies, more and more from contact, will prove to be, at least some
diversion, from the smell of the rotting flesh.
   Don't you just love these annual pre-season rants? Put me down for 54
wins this season; Snoopy and NCC!

                JB

                                                    Unchain My Heart!