RE: how baker will fit in

>>Wallace can't carry Pierce's jock.  It's one thing to
>>be recognized for trying hard, it's another to be
>>recognized for actual skill level.

>>Which one do you think will make the HOF?

>>If there was a real NBA center willing to play Wallace
>>wouldn't be around to even carry the bags.  Be real.
>><Jim

>Excellent point, Jim, but Wallace DID win the
>rebounding award this year.  What's wrong with that,
>compared to taking the majority of a team's shots?  You
>saw how far Iverson took the Sixers.

Wallace deserves credit for his achievement.  I'm not downplaying that.

But no one would trade Pierce for Wallace straight up, except Detroit, nor
would anyone place Wallace in the top 4 of center prospects.

The players just aren't comparable though.  Wallace is a better-then-nice
contributing player, but you can build a team around a Pierce.  PP is no
Iverson either, I think he will be better because he will become/is a leader
which Iverson will never be.

>You're right about talent.  But talent without
>continuous effort left a lot of guys out of the HOF.
>Some are sweeping the halls of civic buildings

Pierce has spoken publicly after the last season about his need for a higher
level of physical conditioning to increase his stamina so he can advance his
play this year.  He has made leaps of advancement from year-to-year.  I
believe he gave his full effort this past year for the minutes he has to
play and the number of shots he has needed to take.   Baker will take some
of that pressure off of him and change the dynamics of the defense as well.
Delk is supposed to help with scoring at that position too.

When Pierce has other scorers around him, I think you will see more of what
your looking for.  When his team is winning the game with the help of the
other players, he may not need the flashing play to carry the team.

I wouldn't worry too much about him washing out of the league due to a lack
of effort and having to sweep buildings for a living.

<Jim