Bulls preview (quick one)

This probably won't make it in time for the IGTC digest
version, but here's a couple of very obvious and quick
thoughts about tonight.

Watch the battle of the boards closely against da Bulls'
tall youngsters and wide-butts.

One guy we need to grind down is Donyell Marshall off the
bench, who delivered a scintillating 12 rebounds and 16.7
ppg on .583 shooting in just 26 mpg during the preseason
(3 games).

That's 12 boards, in limited minutes. 4 offensive boards
too.

The two teen towers, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry,
delivered 26.6 ppg, 13.4 rebounds and 2.4 swats in a
combined 51 mpg.  Curry hit .566 from the field. Tyson
hit .581.

Between those three players, you had 8 offensive boards
per game.

But there's more. You have Pfizer, who wants to be a 6th
man of the year candidate in the Corliss Williamson mold.
He averaged 8.3 points and 6.0 boards in the preseason.

A better story than that is the rookie 2nd rounder,
Lonnie Baxter. He had play perfectly to make the team,
and he did. In just 12.0 mpg as a third string power
forward, the NCAA champ shot .731 from the field and .762
from the line over 7 games. Not only that, but he
averaged 7.7 ppg including 28 points in a game last week.
He beat out Bagaric for the 12th spot on the active
roster.

It's an opening night, and these guys will have a lot of
energy.

Some other issues. The pointguards (Jay Williams and
Jamal Crawford) are another challenge, because they both
can dribble and score the ball (23 ppg game in 51
combined minutes). Crawford has decent size too. I think
both will turn the ball over initially against
experienced veterans, but we don't exactly have that
either.

The best playmakers on the pre-season Bulls have been
Jalen Rose (4.8 assists) and surprisingly, the acrobatic
Eddie Robinson (4.0 assists).

The guy who got the most minutes per game? Trenton
Hassell at 30.5 (7.9 points and 3.9 boards).

Bill Cartwright just named his starting five over the
weekend, and it includes Trenton Hassell (who beat out
both a healthy Donyell Marshall and Eddie Robinson). I
guess he's kind of their Eric Williams. They have too
many shooters already, I suppose.

But this means that all these guys will play in waves
tonight, so our bench has to be cohesive and active too.
And dont forget the mayor, Fred Hoiberg, who is a
Celtics killer of sorts. It is by no means a weak NBA
bench, so second and late third quarters will be key
moments to hold the fort.

But to simplify things, the one thing probably already up
on the chalkboard: "BOX OUT".

BTW, Im outlining only the positives with the Bulls,
which Im sure Obie and Harter have been doing as well in
game preparation.

In the preseason at least, the Bulls played horrible
defense giving up 24.3 assists, even getting out-
rebounded, and having big deficits in steals and
turnovers as well. They barely shot 70% from the line.

Moreover, the SI preview gives a no defense rating to
four of their announced starters (Jay Williams, Chandler,
Curry and Hassell).

But look out on the boards. Its the opener, and everyone
will be flying around like gangbusters.

Boston has to grind down all these big young bodies
tonight. This game is another reminder of the (mostly
raw) talent in the league. The Bulls matchup has NEVER
been anything like a gimmie for Boston, even when Pink
Floyd was the coach. Superior team cohesion and veteran
composure still will require focus and leadership from
the regulars. Without that, our team won't be able to
walk this first one home.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?