re: Stats

From: GuyClinch@xxxxxxx\

Well I know all hate KA threads..so consider this a thread on statistics..
Good call, I think.

Oh its ridiculous that having the same stats for two different seasons would
indicate that the SAME player has equivalent years? Gosh..yeah thats just
total nonsense. It all comes down to what you see eh? Whatever.

Read that over.. Your actually claiming thats its "ridiculous" to think that
the SAME player who had equivalent statistics in two different years had
equivalent seasons.
Does that really make sense to you?!
Of course. Statistics are only useful in comparing two or more things. What one always has to keep in mind is that those "things" you're comparing (in this case, two KA seasons) are separate and distinct things that exist outside of the statistics. It's actually not ridiculous to think that the two seasons were "equivalent", especially if one breaks it down into component parts. That is, one could say that Kenny did just as good a job of passing because his assists totals were similar, indeed very close together. That's reasonable. Still, in that case, one must remember that assists measure a specific thing; passes that lead to scores within a dribble or two. That's not "passing"; that's "assists". But that's a whole 'nother can o' worms.

What I took you to say was that the two seasons were effectively the same because -- quid pro quo -- the statistics were the same. *That's* ridiculous. It doesn't follow, of course. The two seasons can be different in many ways. And anyone who saw most of the two seasons could tell you that. Kenny played D last season. In no other time can one make that statement about him. But you weren't talking about stats that can remotely be called "defensive", so let's talk about offense. Where KA was looking for his shot in the earlier season, he seemed, to me, to accept a third-scorer role last year, to great effect. This was probably because he sucked real hard the year before, due to injuries and because, well, he sucked. He got iced out of playing time because of it. Last year, he rebounded from it in a way that I never thought he could, but I give him credit, he played well last year. In no other time other than the first few weeks after he came here from Puddletown (via Toronto) can you say that about him and keep a straight face. A lot of people saw him dribble the ball into the ground that earlier season we're talking about. Last year, he didn't keep the ball in his grasp nearly as much. In the earlier season, he took way too many threes, which are out of his range. Last year, he moved in and took the two where he would have stayed outside the arc previously.

See? Differences. These differences point to the fact that the two season were ... different. The changes KA made to his game made him a much more effective and valued member of the team. He seemed, to me, to mold himself to the team instead of trying to mold the team to him (and taking a lot of no doubt Pitino-directed threes as well).

Well I will tell you why...because people see what they WANT to see and
statistics make them put up or shut up.
Your reliance on statistics will be your undoing young Jedi. Only other other people see what they want to see, right? Only you have this direct hook-up to objectivity when it comes to Kenny Anderson, correct? Only you see what apparently most, if not all, others, miss, eh?

You want to imagine that Kenny was good last year and poor in prior years
well you can. But its not true. Same guy..same player same statistics. Its
pretty basic.
I agree, very basic. Perhaps basketball is complex, and not basic. Perhaps Kenny did not remain static. Perhaps he changed, as a player, from Georgia Tech to New Jersey to Portland to Boston. Perhaps he changed from season to season. Perhaps.

And damn I watched Kenny both years too. Since you watched him
your word is gospel or something? Why is your view more relevant then the
numbers?
I don't know that it is. But it's a view that's just as relevant as anybody else's. So go ahead and poll those on the list. You think you'll find a lot of people who'll agree with your statement that Kenny was just as good in 99-00 as 01-02? I think not.

Anyway, this is precisely why they started keeping statistics...to save us
from the evil of sports journalism, or in this case foolish posts.
Nice one. You display a naive reliance on statistics and display little knowledge of what they represent, but *I'm* the foolish one, huh? You bet.

A smart approach would be to point out WHY those statistcs are useless in
this case.
Hopefully, this has given you an example. I invite people with greater knowledge of statistical theory to "check my work". I may not have everything right, but I'm pretty confident I'm on the right track. It does *not* follow that, because two seasons' stats are the same, the seasons' effects are the same. Statistics *represent* things, they aren't the things themselves. If you can say KA was just as an effective member of the Celtics in 99-00 as 01-02, well, I think you'd be in a minority. And if you're going to say that he was just as effective in 00-01 as 01-02, then I think you (or anyone else) would be plumb loco.

Each time a common sense statistical argument is made on this list people
trot out the argument well "statistics are lies." That's weak. They are
not..they paint a picture when used properly.
Then use them properly. Otherwise, your painting begins to look Dadaist. And hey, if you think you've got the mad flava common sense, then check yourself, fool. Word. Representin' tha old school statistical theory, yo. Shizzit.

(Sorry. Getting in touch with the street vibe from back in the day. Would like to take this chance to "shout out" to the other Left Coast Portagee -- wazzup, yer Majesty? Peace.)

Bird (...in the hizzouse)