Kennebec Journal

http://www.centralmaine.com/sports/stories/021021book_col.
shtml

Kennebec Journal brings up race issues in Boston
sports...quotes Bob Ryan saying loudest cheers in Boston
Garden were when Kevin blocked a shot (of a black
player), says Red Sox skipper Joe Morgan urged Ellis
Burks not to date white women, portrays Will McDonough's
bitter rivarly with Peter Gammons (I didn't know about
that).

Thankfully, there are no troubling anecdotes mentioned
from the past ten years. I remember the 80s in Boston and
it did feel a lot different from how it seems when I re-
visit Boston these days. Times can change for the better
pretty quickly sometimes.

Back then, I couldn't wait to move as far away as
possible from there. Its from that perspective that I
felt sympathy for Antoine Walker, back when he was
getting booed on every touch. He rose above it, back when
many kids that age would have lashed out at the fans.

I'm really glad we have Pierce and Walker today, through
the team's patience during all those difficult years.

And I'm still very optimistic about this season, mainly
because our glaring weakness so far has been at center
(Battie and Baker's low production, scoring and
rebounding), a position that actually projects to hold
its own in the East once the games count.

All the other expected concerns have been adequately
addressed, much to my surprise. Paul Pierce can play
make, Delk seems more comfortable spot-up shooting and on
defense compared to Kenny, plus the bench seems stronger
than what was expected - with Wallace pickups Sundov and
Shammond actually looking useful, in their own way. The
Celtics can score 100 a night without hitting on all
cylinders. We'll be okay.

So far Battie has been just as invisible as Baker, even
though our focus has been on Baker.

And the defense has a ways to go without doubt, but still
looks good in spurts (the starters in particular).

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?