Last night

As noted, Josh Ozersky, Michael Gooen and I had great
seats for last night's game, courtesy of Michael's firm.

And much to my surprise, Chris Wallace spent a lot of
time talking to us, right up until the opening buzzer for
teams to break the huddle.

I won't report on what he said to Josh (I'll leave that
to him). Josh asked a lot of good questions and has a
good rapport with CW. But here's what Wallace said in
response to some of our other questions, this to the best
of my recollection.

I asked if the Sonics had specifically asked for Joe
Forte to close the Baker trade, or if it was done to save
the million off next year's payroll. He replied that it
was a "financial decision".

He added that the Shaw League standout would NOT have
gotten playing time this season in Boston behind Bremer.
He said Bremer had "way more experience" playing the
point. So that tells you what he thinks.

I asked him if his opinion of Forte and Joe Johnson had
changed since draft day (when he had lots of good things
to say about their future).

He replied that there was a misperception in the media.
He said that sometimes you draft a player to build team
depth in talent, which can be used in trades that improve
the team's competitiveness.

Well we've more or less heard that before. But he also
added at one point that Joe Johnson "isn't a point guard"
or "isn't going to be a point guard". I was kind of
caught off-guard by that one, but I think that's what he
said. Maybe Josh or Michael can confirm?

He posed to us the rhetorical question: "tell me this,
who would you guys rather have, Vin Baker or Rodney
Rogers?". Thankfully, none of us retorted with "but who's
contract would you rather have?!"

I was starting to wonder if our questions were a bit too
aggressive, although we were all polite and cordial.
Whatever the case, Wallace was engaging and stuck with us
until the tipoff. I believe he trusts Josh a lot. He said
he was looking forward to reading his next column etc.

But yeah, he cares about fans and was candid to a
surprising extent. It probably didn't hurt that Michael
was wearing his Bill Russell #6 jersey (which as he noted
in his post, Rodney Rogers also seemed to appreciate).

Michael asked about our rights to overseas players,
specifically Ben Pepper. That gave Wallace an opening to
remind us that we have Ben "safely salted away."

Wallace said that the Celtics still own the rights to
Josip Sesar as well, and that he'll monitor how he
develops.

He said that of all our overseas players, the guy with
the best chance to make it in the NBA is Darius Songaila,
who's been looking good in Russia.

Wallace confirmed that we own these player's rights "in
perpetuity", but that they could force the issue by
coming to training camp (and getting cut).

There were other interesting comments, but I'll leave
that for Josh's column.

We all had a lot of fun whooping it up during the game,
with Michael's dad also there. Josh got in a chat with
Mike Gorman as well. It was a very relaxed environment.
It didn't take any special effort to get these guy's
attention. They were standing right there.

Continental Arena is a strange place to watch exhibition
basketball. There was complete silence between highlight
moments, like we were watching the Amish Basketball
Association.

Oddly, the arena even set up an artificial "sold out"
cheering section of around thirty people, including
hidden cue cards that read "make noise". The section was
flashed up on the jumbotron and presumably out to TV Land
during time outs. I've never seen something like that
before.

But there was one very audible "ooh" from the crowd when
Shammond put a cross-over ankle breaker on someone (Tamar
Slay I think).

(Mr Gooen aptly suggested the Michael Jackson-inspired
nickname "I'm bad, I'm bad, shammond...")

I felt Shammond and Delk again managed to "look the part"
of point guard tonight. Delk seemed at ease with his job
and was a weapon from the top of the key. Shammond had a
high number of shots that rimmed in and out, but still
shows a lot of flash and self-confidence.

But neither guy or Bremer is at all methodical in hunting
down assists or moving the ball to the hot hand. Again,
I'm not sure that's even there role on this team. The few
times the Celtics saw sufficient daylight on the break,
it was off a direct defensive rebound and dribble by the
captains. As inept as the Celtics were on offense, the
Nets were also doing a good job of transition defense I
thought.

Bremer finally impressed me a great deal, with his
defense and those two strong slashes to the hoop in the
fourth. Nice. He'd be a great two guard if he were 6-6.
His funny jumpshot is a turnoff.

I know Josh might disagree here, but I'm actually
starting to believe Obie when he courted ridicule by
saying point guard is a team strength.

Obie's one proven ability is relating to NBA players,
bringing out the creative strengths of the captains and
getting maximum team-based contributions from the other
guys. Everyone's happy.

This being the case, Obie really needs to figure
something out with Baker and his 50 million contract.

They say you can't be seriously disillusioned unless you
had illusions in the first place, and Baker's "illusion"
is that he'll finally be happy in Boston and be allowed
to succeed.

Last night, no one gave Baker the ball and he very much
looked like a spare part. He seemed like a guy who won't
fit in at all with the team as a sixth man. The scrubs
either won't look to pass to Baker, or they are too short
to look over defenses and find him.

I frankly don't care if Battie isn't REALLY hurt (he
looked it for awhile), Obie needs to seize this excuse
and give Baker some starting minutes with Walker and
Pierce. Baker's injury just looked like a mild kick in
the shins, whereas Battie was seriously limping off the
court.

And, yes, there STILL seem to be no plays run for Baker.
Obie had four days since Thursday to work on something,
and nothing has happened. Vin subs in and appears to run
through the same high post plays of the starting center
(Battie), or a bit of Walker's point forward role. He's
miscast in either role.

Obie needs to get over the fact that he wanted the same
roster as last year, and opposed the trade. He's stuck
with Baker now and he needs to make the most of a still
in-shape and reasonably talented player.

Right now, Baker is getting half the touches he got in
the darkest days with Gary Payton and the Sonics.

Sooner or later this is going to come to a head. How the
Fleet Center treats an underperforming Vinnie might
trigger all kinds of things.

Obie's main coaching challenge this year will be to
address this. It should be a night and day obsession. If
Baker is unhappy and underutilized right off the bat,
this team is going nowhere for four years.

I'd hope Obie is thinking hard about this after last
night's game. And like Josh I hope that he fully consults
his father-in-law on this subject, rather the Dayton
playbook.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?