General Impressions

Vin Baker: He made several accurate interior passes off
the dribble. Showed outstanding hands and good footwork.
Basically error-free decision-making and situation
recognition last night.  Not a standout defensive weapon
at all, but knows how to position down there. Probably
just taking it slow, but jumping wasnt a big part of his
game last night. But he more than amply demonstrated All
Star level coordination, flawless finishing and passing
skills for his size. Flat belly. But he has matured into
a solid body frame. Vin's mannerisms kind of resemble the
actor who plays the gentle giant on death row in "The
Green Mile".

Bruno Sundov also showed good hands and coordination. But
I was more relieved to see he has a solid build, even if
he doesnt apply it to much effect. He made one excellent
pass. Ticky-tack fouls. I barely noticed, but he got in
foul trouble very quickly.

Ruben W. has the "V" hairstyle and look of Potapenko.
Both Sundov and Ruben look rugged enough (Ruben
especially), and IMO have reason to be confident in their
finesse skills. Its possible that all three of our new
center-forwards will turn out to be wusses and soft
rebounders, but I dont recall the Celtics ever being
this stocked at the position with high coordination and
skill level. These guys seem uncommonly skilled for their
size.

Shammond was disappointingly tinier than I expected. He
has very narrow shoulders. No wonder he's had to be
a "gym rat" all his life...more like a "gym mouse". He
failed to get his shot off when closely defended. He
drilled a three when he was open though. Fine dribbler.
Put some English on the dribble that even Kenny would be
proud of. He looks the part of a point guard when he's
merely fiddling and diddling, compared to Delk. Reaches
and pokes a lot on defense for some reason, without
achieving anything. Bottom line is that his size is a
handicap. Kidd is going to have him for breakfast, or
make him a non-factor.

Delk was tremendously unimpressive for three quarters. It
looked to me like he lost the starting job. But in the 4Q
he lit up like a microwave. Shot great. One or the other
guy, Shammond or Delk, is going to get the 4Q PG minutes
depending on who is hot that night. But I hope not to see
them playing in tandem in the backcourt. It could happen,
of course. I believe Tony Delk was out there with JR
Bremer a lot.

To me, Bremer looked like a guy on the bubble. It could
be first game nerves, but his shot mechanics were awful
on at least two occasions, and his dribbling was prosaic
and lacked any plan. He is built like a tank (this is
only relatively speaking). Nice broad shoulders. Others
may have come away with a better overall impression of
Bremer. I'm struggling to find something nice to say.
It's still early I know.

Kedrick looked a bit thinner than at Shaw. He didn't have
many opportunities, other than that two-handed jam. He's
going to have to move better without the ball, in order
to be a consistent contributor to the box-score. Its
another reminder of how underrated Rodney Rogers was. For
the most part, the ball didn't find its way into Eric's
hands either.

The win was great, it played out like it was never in
doubt.

Based on last night, I'd say that Boston's three max-
contrast players might also be our three best passers
(whenever they feel like passing). Pierce showed a lot in
the 1Q. He at times had the same passing touch as Walker
at his best. It seemed like Paul wasn't locked in on just
scoring last night. Did you see how all five defenders
swarmed him on his first drive to the hoop? Wow. Unlike
Walker, Pierce can draw a foul out of even the worst
scenarios. Obviously, once the season starts he's going
to be our scorer.

Both Walker and Pierce started the offense from the top
of the key a few times in Q1 and did an outstanding job
of playmaking. His ballhandling wasnt a source of
turnovers or carelessness last night. Walker clanked a
few threes, but his ball handling was outstanding. When
it comes to his dribbling its impossible to say that any
player his size or position is even a close second.

As for scoring, he did put a nice "twinkle toes" spin
move on McDyess later in the game. That's when the MSG
announcers really started praising Walker's ballhandling.

But we can't have McDyess getting 17 freaking boards,
especially once Houston comes back. The Celtics need to
toughen up on the boards. McDyess was flying around in
there. Walker still seems to be the only Celtic with both
the coach's green light and the internal compass to move
to where the caroms will land. Just like Fortson, he's
allowed to roam more often than he boxes out.

But I thought Vin Baker put together a flawless (albeit
not dominant) all around performance. This was a
perfectly auspicious start. The story of the game. He
looks really fit and skilled.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?