Mark's point about points

I was even more flabbergasted to see these words come
out a coach's mouth:  "our guards can push the tempo
by running the court instead of by passing."  Can this
guy really be a basketball coach?  God.

But I would take issue with a couple of things Mark
said.  First of all, Jason Kidd is a good shooter.  He
absolutely killed us with his shooting, quite as much
as his passing.  And of course, the history of the
league is filled with great scorers and shooters who
were also great point guards (Cousy, Isiah, Fat Lever,
Magic, Oscar, Kevin Johnson, Tiny Archibald, etc.).

That said, I agree, you need to have your main setup
guy be different than one of your two main scorers.
Although...the fact is, the Celtics offense in the 80s
was basically run by Larry Bird.  DJ was not a great
assist man.  And Shammond Williams is not primarily,
as Mark would have it, a spot-up shooter.  I've seen
him play, and he's very quick and an excellent shooter
off the dribble.  I'm sure he's a good enough passer
to get the ball into Vin Baker when Antoine reverses
it, and he's covered at the arc (which he surely will
be.)

Josh
http://sbc.yahoo.com