Bulpett Says Bye Bye Birdy

Celts don't flock to Bird: Sources: Larry doesn't fit in new owners'
plans
by Steve Bulpett
Tuesday, October 1, 2002

Larry Bird will not be returning to Boston to run the Celtics for the
club's new ownership, sources close to the situation said yesterday.
Several factors have combined to make a Bird comeback with the
organization a non-starter at this time, they said.

One source indicated the Celtics legend is tied strongly to local
businessman Steven Belkin's attempt to purchase an NBA franchise, and
the best chance of that remains an expansion franchise for Charlotte,
N.C. While Belkin said he'd be willing to invest $20 million in the
Celts if Bird were made director of basketball operations, it was
reported here yesterday that Boston Basketball Partners L.P., which last
week signed an agreement to acquire the club for $360 million, is happy
with the team's current management.

Contacted yesterday, Belkin said plans to meet this week with the new
Celtics owners are now off. He said he was informed yesterday by an
advisory firm working with the prospective Celtics owners that they are
simply too busy working on obtaining NBA approval to meet this week.

Belkin said there probably won't be a meeting until the NBA makes a
final decision on which competing ownership group will be awarded the
Charlotte franchise.

``It's not imminent,'' Belkin said.

There was also word yesterday from a source involved in the Celtics
transaction that the new ownership group, headed by Wycliffe and H.
Irving Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca, is wary of ceding control to Bird,
who remains an overpowering presence in Boston. Bird's cache would
obviously be a huge asset for the franchise even beyond his perspective
on the game, but, in addition to satisfaction with the present regime,
there are other issues.

``There's a real question as to whether it would work,'' the source
said. ``There's a feeling that Larry would have the ability to go public
to get his way if he and ownership disagreed on something - and that
he'd use that ability. Whereas the new group may like Larry and respect
his knowledge and what he could do, that's not a comfortable position
for people who are putting up this kind of money.''

Additionally, the Celtics seemed comfortable with their current lineup -
both on and off the court - as they opened the 2002-03 season yesterday
at The Sports Authority Center in Waltham.

Bird's name was raised on several occasions at the team's media day, but
at the dawn of training camp, changes are generally problematic to those
involved.

``We have all the pieces, we think,'' coach Jim O'Brien said when asked
about the possibility of Bird joining the organization. ``So any
speculation about anyone becoming a part of the franchise is best left
up to the owners. That's not something I really do a lot of thinking
about.''

Antoine Walker, who worked with Bird when he was drafted by the club in
1996, has mixed feelings but backed the status quo.

``I love Bird, but it's tough,'' he said. ``We have a good situation
here. I like (general manager) Chris Wallace. I think he's doing a great
job. I like the people that are in charge right now. And I also like
Larry, so that's a tough position to put anybody in.

``I'm just hopeful the owners do the right thing for the team and the
organization. I think right now we're in a good position. I don't think
we need any changes personnel-wise or management-wise.''

For his part, Wallace is unfazed by the speculation.

``I've been involved in a number of these in the past, and they've
always worked out,'' he said. ``I'm sure this one will. At this point
we're just going to concentrate on what we're here for, training camp
and getting ready for the upcoming season.'' Wallace added that he is
not concerned for his job, ``because, No. 1, we're coming off a very
good season and, 2, I'm just not somebody who tends to worry and obsess
about things I can't control. I'm not worried about it at all.''

Assistant coach Dick Harter, who was on Bird's staff with the Indiana
Pacers, is aware of Bird's career goals.

``I think Larry wants to run an organization,'' Harter said. ``I don't
know if it's fair to say he only wants to come back here. I think he
wants to run an organization, and I think he's realistic. He would want
to be where it's the best situation, and that may be Boston or it may be
somewhere else.''

But Harter knows, too, Bird's oft-stated affection for this city.

``He loves Boston,'' Harter said. ``He truly loves the people here.
That's a given, and that's not going to change.''

Scott Van Voorhis contributed to this report.