Herald - Battie's knee swollen again

Colds dampen practice

Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Celtics coach Jim O'Brien generally preaches fundamentals to his
players. The advice from the coach often deals with hitting the boards,
hitting open teammates and digging in on defense.

But yesterday as he bid the Celtics goodbye for the day following
practice, O'Brien sounded like everyone's mom, telling his troops to
get plenty of rest and eat properly.

The reason for the concern is that two players have been hit with the
same type of cold that is most likely running a fast break through your
workplace or school today, as well. The Celts had to make the best of
things yesterday.

``It was a tough practice,'' O'Brien said. ``Tony Battie was out most
of the practice with a swollen knee, and Antoine (Walker) and Walt
(McCarty) are under the weather. So we really had not a lot of guys.
But Antoine and Walt practiced. They just sucked it up despite being
ill.

``We got some things accomplished, but (today) is going to have to be a
real big practice for us.''

All three will play when the Chicago Bulls visit tomorrow night, and in
the case of Battie, the right knee inflammation is something he's
learned to live with.

``Tony just has a chronic problem with his knee,'' O'Brien said.
``Sometimes it's swollen more than other times, and as a result of
back-to-backs, it's just a little more cranky. So we didn't use him in
contact drills to give him basically (Sunday) off and (yesterday) off
and allow Vin (Baker) to work in with the starters, which the more he
does that the quicker he'll come along for us.''

Family matters

The Celtics welcomed Tony Delk back after he missed Saturday's game in
Atlanta to be with his daughter in Charlotte. She had been hospitalized
with pneumonia made more serious by the fact she also has sickle cell
anemia. In addition, his mother is recovering in Tennessee from surgery
to clear a blockage near her heart.

``Everything is good,'' Delk said. ``Mom is out of the hospital and my
daughter will be getting out (today), so I'm happy.''

Time on his hands

Bruno Sundov has played in just seven of the Celtics' 13 games and just
37 minutes, but O'Brien cautioned against making long-term judgments
based on those numbers.

``I think in a lot of areas in the NBA you can't just take 13 games and
say, `Well, Bruno's not getting a lot of time now, so he's not going to
get time,' '' the coach said. ``I don't think that's the case.

``You can also say, `Vin may not be getting the type of numbers that he
would like, that we would like.' That doesn't mean that's going to stay
that way. It means that as the season goes along and these guys get
more and more acclimated - or somebody gets banged up - things can
dramatically change.

``I don't believe because Bruno is not getting playing time that he
won't be able to work his way into getting playing time.'' . . .

The Celtics will get their third look at the Bulls tomorrow (fourth if
you count the preseason game). After avenging the opening-night home
loss to them in Chicago a week later, the C's now get a chance to do it
at the FleetCenter.

``They're a team that needs a win, and they're coming off a tough West
Coast trip,'' O'Brien said of Chicago's four straight losses. ``All
West Coast trips are tough. Certainly we understand they have the
weapons to beat us, as they have shown already.''