Re: [Celtics' Stuff Celtics/Hawks review

At 04:16 AM 11/23/02 -0500, Lance Jacobson wrote:
>Not sure what you're seeing from the Doghouse, but to complain about Vin's
>3-6 night when the whole Celts team was off is silly.  Battie was 7-12 and
>the only Celt to outperform Baker on FG%.

I didn't COMPLAIN about Baker--I said that if his shooting had been better
he would have had a great night.  As it was, he had a good night.  I think
Baker is capable of scoring more--and last night, the whole TEAM was
capable of doing better on the offense throughout most of the game.

>  Celts took 107 shots to the Hawks' 92.  Good board work by the Celts
> gave the team a 9-rebound edge, but that doesn't explain 15 extra
> shots.  Must be in the "team rebound" advantage of 9, since the TOs were
> basically even.

When I use stats like FG's attempted/made, etc., I've been quoting
ESPN.com.  Apparently, I'll have to use one of the other stat sites.

>  Walker was 9-30 for a lousy 30%, but did other things, as you note and
> eked out a triple-double by virtue of the 10 extra
> minutes.  .  Pierce,  whose name couldn't escape you for one sentence,
> was 14-34,  to just crack 40% with a lot of those shots dropping in the
> OT.  Playing 52 and 54 minutes, PP and Twan are the only guys running
> this offense, and there's a fear that the tanks will be empty tomorrow.

For crying out loud, Lance, you just can't stop, can you?  I specifically
pointed out where Pierce wasn't doing so hot, but you had to hold
everything and point out that Pierce shot badly.  This was not news to
anyone.  He--along with the majority of the Celtics last night--shot poorly
through three and one half quarters.  But it's equally plain that is was
his offense, keying off Walter McCarty's defensive work, that sparked the
Celtics scoring run in the fourth.

I notice you failed to mention Pierce's 14 rebounds.  Guess you lost track
while going on about his shooting percentage.

I understand you're not fond of Pierce as a player.  Fine.  You're entitled
to disagree.  But stop trying to paint me as Pierce's apologist when I'm
only pointing out what happened.  Yes, he shot poorly most of the
game.  He's been told--in no uncertain terms, by his coach--that he's
expected to hoist up a lot of shots.  So don't damn him for doing his job,
and don't give me grief because I report what I saw.  If Coach O'Brien had
a problem with Pierce's shot selection or shooting percentage, he'd sit
Pierce down, or at the very least, have the offense run through Walker.

>  Guess you've got to take the game when you can, but Obie's constant
> reliance on the captains will bring them down again late in the season.

I disagree there.  We've discovered a solid, if unexpected, rebounder in
Tony Battie.  Delk is coming along nicely on offense, and you made it a
point to mention Baker's scoring.  I think the offense is beginning to
spread out nicely, BUT--it all depends on people making the most of their
scoring opportunities.  Otherwise, the burden falls back on Walker and
Pierce, which means we'll see another several posts of complaints from you
about how much Pierce is shooting the ball.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
Please visit the Celtics Beagle Website at
http://users.mfi.net/fluteaphrael/celticsbeagle/celtics.html