Leapin Lizards, Sandy.  We have 99 percent more to look forward to.

Coach patient with Baker

Celtics Notebook/by Gus Martins
Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Celtics coach Jim O'Brien isn't the least bit apprehensive discussing
Vin Baker's future and thinks his 10-point performance Monday night in
29 minutes was a harbinger of good things to come.

``When Vin was making the All-Star Game, the defensive rules were
different,'' O'Brien said yesterday of Baker, who was acquired in the
offseason. ``You could get Vin all day one-on-one in the low post. Vin,
in the low post, is a very difficult guy to stop. So is Karl Malone.

``You don't get those guys one-on-one in the low post anymore. So
everyone's waiting for Vin Baker to be 20-25 points. You look at the
top scorers in the NBA. There aren't any low-post players in the top 20
in the NBA and that's for a reason. It is very difficult to get the
ball into the low post in the NBA. So big guys have to adjust their
game.''

O'Brien said there are myriad ways Baker will help, but offensively, he
said the game's going to have to come to Baker.

``He needs to continue to grow as a defensive player and as a
rebounder,'' O'Brien said. ``We have Vin here for four years and,
percentage-wise, he's about 1 percent of where he's going to be. You
have to allow a player to get his feet wet.''

On the offensive

Antoine Walker had another solid offensive performance in Monday
night's 112-95 win over the Jazz, scoring 27 points on 10-of-22 from
the field and 4-of-5 from the line. He continues to nurture the belief
that the Celtics, who had five players in double figures on Monday,
shouldn't have trouble scoring.

``Right now we are becoming a very, very, dangerous offensive team,''
he said. ``We can get five or six guys in double figures night in and
night out and that's something we haven't had in the past.''

He added that the continued development of Paul Pierce as a passer is
improving the team.

``I think Paul does a fantastic job of getting guys the ball and
getting a higher number of assists,'' he said. ``That takes pressure
off myself. You've got other guys who can penetrate and get guys open
shots.''

Brown off IL

Kedrick Brown was activated off the injured list, where he's been with
a sprained right ankle since Oct. 30. O'Brien cautioned that while
Brown will suit up, it's more of a symbolic gesture. Brown still hasn't
practiced full tilt with the team since making strides from the sprain
suffered in preseason. . . .

Pierce said it's still too early to determine whether this Celtics team
can match last year's 49-win season.

``It's hard to say right now,'' he said. ``Seven games doesn't make you
contenders. We won't know right now until mid-January, February or so
until (we've) played 30 to 40 games. So we'll just have to wait and
see.''