* "Rainy Days and Mondays, Always Get Me Down."

	I'm writing this for Adam's new site. {
http://www.nbatools.com/servlet/NBATools} I realize that there isn't
much here, that I haven't written before, but thought someone out there
might enjoy it.
		JB

	What about, when it rains on Monday? Double whammy!
	I'm not sure what my problem is, but I just can't get excited about
the Celtics this season. Part of the reason may be, being stuck in this
motel, without access to FOXNE. The bits of games I've seen, haven't
driven away the preconceived notions, I carried away from the dismal
summer of our discontent.
	What happened to our back-up point guard I was hoping for? In fact,
what happened to our point guard? Can an offense seem more sluggish and
frightening? Pass around the perimeter, shoot  the first three that
shows, or have Paul or Antoine drive into traffic? This is "Jimmy0's"
plan?
	It seemed apparent after the loss to N.J. in the Eastern Finals, that
we couldn't beat a team that got so many easy baskets and that any
future success, was based on upgrading our passing game, not;
eliminating the point guard, as a distributor, bringing in a certified
bomber, Shammond Williams, who was relegated to third string in
Seattle, for heaving bricks, upon arriving over the three point line,
without any regard for the whereabouts of his teammates. We needed
another one of those?
	Last year, we had a pretty good team, until Rodney Rogers came in. He
gave us the cachet of  a confident and rugged, veteran presence, which
made us formidable. Have we stepped backwards?
	At this point, the bench, beyond Shammond, has been almost useless.
Walter McCarty has offered some contributions, but if we're relying on
him, as your seventh man, what does that say? Even if Kedrick Brown
returns from his ankle injury, at what level does  his game compute? It
seems apparent that Bremer, Sundov and Wolkowyski aren't going to play
any meaningful minutes. These should be our 13-15th roster players, not
8-10.
	That brings us to Vin Baker.  Chris Wallace gambled the ranch by
trading for the worst salary in the league, on the vague premise that a
player who grumbled in Milwaukee over playing center and  loafed , out
of shape, through three years in Seattle, was going to become our
saviour at the center spot, because he was returning to his New England
roots. Called a cancer by a local Seattle writer, Vin, has given us
less  than nothing, so far. Potapenko; one of the players who we traded
  for Baker, is still on the injured list and another; Kenny Anderson,
has grumbled publicly through his tenure there, so  I guess things are
even.
	But wait! Unbelievably, the Celtics have won four straight. While we
haven't played anyone who can remotely be called the iron of the
league, we have risen from the ashes of the opening game defeat, by the
lowly Bulls and the historic thrashing at the hands of  the Wizards.
Four straight! I don't care who the opponents were, that's an
achievement in the four cities, in six nights, NBA.
	What magic does Jimmy O'Brien lace into his players sneakers? Is this
teams success, a divine gift from his recently departed, saintly
grandmother, Mary, a huge Celtics fan?
	The next string of games should be demanding. After an allegedly
calcified Utah; Philadelphia, Dallas, New Jersey and Milwaukee are all
better teams, aren't they? We should get hammered, shouldn't we?
	Jimmy said, that we didn't need a point guard who can distribute. He
wants two guys who can shoot and so far Delk and Williams have put up
some impressive scoring numbers from that position. Walker and Pierce
will do the distributing, he said and lo and behold; they are.
	Rebounding and defense? Just effort he said and what  do you know,
after the troubling start, the team is competing.
	Can they keep it up? Will Baker get into the groove and find his game?
Is this really a team that can contend for the Eastern Conference title
again?
	Hold on to your hats, it looks like a bumpy ride, but if we can hold
out until the new ownership takes over, we might be able to expand the
roster a bit and if O'Brien can get ten assists out of Pierce, why
can't he coax consistent double doubles out of Baker and revive the
fast break, when Kedrick comes of the D.L.?
	There, I feel better already.
	Go C's!

		JB

	Unchain My Heart !