Re: Mark's got points

I went a bit far Lance. You are right that Pierce does
take some downs off.

I'd agree there are a couple of complete two-guards who
are a bigger factor on defense, although I'll say that
none of them are above criticism.

Finley and Ray Allen definitely take time off on defense.
Kobe, I don't know. He's something else, but Pierce
obviously has had some great scoring games versus the
Lakers. T-Mac is up there. All the other elite ones,
Vince Carter on down, don't even play defense
consistently at Paul's level.

My view is that Pierce can make the big stops, blocks,
you name it, as well as any two guard in the league
(except Kobe).

But I think we all notice that he takes a few possessions
off per game on defense. Whether we time criticisms of
him after a 46-point game and win is another matter. The
timing is a little disconcerting, in the sense that maybe
you can lay off once in awhile?

At that level, guards score at will if they find a
groove. In basketball, offense is just too skilled for
defense. In a practice game of one-on-one or "21",
whoever shoots first is pretty much expected to run the
table on you. The way Jordan or Houston were shooting, it
was light's out no matter who was in their face.

Paul plays 40+ minutes at the showcase NBA position.
Defense takes a ton of energy, especially at guard.

I'm speaking only for myself, a total crap player, but in
the league I play in I love playing defense and this
definitely takes my legs out on offense, messes with my
stamina and decision making etc. I'm not in shape of
course, but I think its inevitable that players take some
downs off (say 3% less commitment) and hope "false
hustle" will prevent your guy from trying to blow past
you. It usually happens in the middle of games with
Pierce or the other Celtics.

Plus these NBA players are in a scheme, where individual
accountability on defense is less pronounced. A lot of
bad defense is just being late to a secondary assignment,
like on those weakside three-balls that have been hurting
us.

But honestly, do you really think Pierce is letting guys
score on him just so he can win it at the end? If I've
been reading you right, that's really an odd belief. I
only wish it was within Pierce's power to orchestrate
games like that.

Joe H.

p.s. A big month is needed from Walter, or we'll have to
rely on Delk and Bremer to guard opposing shooting guards
for significant stretches.

In an ideal world, with the Celtics sale fast-tracked,
I'd like to see Bremer stashed away and sign Greg Anthony
as the defensive pointguard. GA went for 8.4 ppg and 5.6
apg last year, with a 3-1 A/TO ratio. He's 35-years-old.

If they need a scoring backup big guard until Kedrick
comes back, they might look at Jim Jackson, Dell Curry or
Bryant Stith.

Two undrafteds that might have helped this team on the
boards were Reggie Evans and Lonnie Baxter. Evans was a
spectacular Big 10 rebounder.

Grant Long and Tony Massenburg are both free agents. If
memory serves, I think Boston had an intereest in
Massenburg a little while back.

One other thing about not having a complete practice
squad is you can't use scout teams to prepare you for
game situations. We've got the triangle offense coming up
two nights in a row against Chicago and the Lakers. The
Bulls have two veterans (Jalen and Donyell Marshall) who
are playing much better than our two captains right now,
plus all those energetic kids.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?