It is the style of play that is killing them

To the people who look toward last year and say we would have done better
with Kenny, Vitally, Rogers and Strickland, it isn't the reserves that is
losing the games. Obie went with the starters for the last 10 minutes of the
first game and they couldn't hold a 10 point lead. Game two again has to be
attributed to poor play by the starters although the reserves stunk even
more. But it is the style of play that is killing them.

The difference between last year and this year is this: decision making about
shooting. The first five shots at the start of the second half of game two
were threes. Since they supposed got more three point shooters, everyone
shoots as soon as they get to the three point line. There is no discretion. I
thought Obie's rule last year was only shoot uncovered threes which only Twan
sometimes violated. Now Pierce and Delk violate it. But now you also have
other guys, Swill, Sundov, Walter and Bremer, who also get to shoot threes.
No discretion. But that is what Obie seems to be encourging. You would think
we got awesome three point shooting on our team since that seems to be our
main offensive plan.

Then there is the ill-fated decision by Obie to go with two small guards.
Washington killed us with that. I guess going big with Pierce at the two just
isn't in Obie's vocabulary.

The defense and rebounding are also bad. However, I think the quick strike
mentality on offense is hurting the defense and rebounding. I think it is
hard to work so hard on the complex defense to have to do it all over again
after it quick three.

I didn't like this style of offense last year. We didn't play that style in
the playoffs and I thought bringing in Vin would allow us to modify our
offense to produce higher percentage shots. Yet, it seems like we have gone
to regular season last year times 2.

The difference might be that Rogers and Strickland used better discretion in
their three point shooting or were better shooters than Swill, etc. But I
think we just got so many other offensive options on the team to waste them
with contested and first option three point shooting...

DJessen33