Kidd speaks...

BY CHRIS  <http://foxsports.lycos.com/search/search.adp?author=CHRIS
SHERIDAN> SHERIDAN
Associated Press
May. 28, 2002 2:44 p.m.
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Jason Kidd feared for the safety of his
wife and 3-year-old son because of drunken fans who taunted them during
the Eastern Conference finals in Boston.

Kidd was booed every time he touched the ball during Monday's Game 4,
which the Nets won 94-92 to even the Eastern Conference finals.

Kidd said Tuesday he had no problem with the boos, or the chant of
"wife-beater" that was directed at him. But he said his wife, Joumana,
and son, T.J., received worse treatment from some intoxicated fans.

"It bothers me. I can't protect them. I'm worried about them at the same
time I'm worried about trying to win a ballgame," Kidd said. "You can't
do that to somebody's family, put them in jeopardy for their safety.
They came there to enjoy the game just like (Celtics fans) did.

Kidd's wife and son have become quite a high-profile family in New
Jersey as the Nets have advanced through the playoffs. One newspaper
runs a "T.J. Watch" after every game, describing details of the
photogenic 3-year-old's behavior from quarter to quarter.

Kidd's son has accompanied to him to the podium at postgame news
conferences, and photographers have captured the youngster's mimicking
of his father's body language.

Some newspapers ran side-by-side photos Tuesday of Kidd and his son
holding up two fingers on each hand - the gesture Kidd made at the end
of Game 4 to signify that the series was tied 2-2.

Kidd did not go into specific detail about why he feared for his
family's safety, but his wife told one New York columnist that some of
the Boston fans had said things to her and T.J. that were more cruel
than anything that was chanted.

"Some people have to remember that they have kids, too, and they
wouldn't want me to be disrespectful to them," Kidd said. "To us, it's
about respect. Being classy."

The Nets have felt slighted by the Celtics in many ways over the course
of the series, and Kidd's fury at the way his family was treated was the
latest plot twist.

Coach Byron Scott felt the derogatory chant directed at Kidd was a low
blow, and Kidd's wife said fans at Game 3 had "wife-beater" painted on
their backs and were jumping up and down in front of her and T.J.

Kidd was charged with striking his wife in January 2001, when he was
playing for Phoenix. The charges were dropped when Kidd underwent anger
counseling and paid a fine, but the episode harmed his reputation and
helped lead to his departure from the Suns.

Kidd also took issue with Boston fans throwing beer at the fiancee of
one of the Nets' broadcasters, and with reports of revelry outside the
FleetCenter getting out of hand.

"They didn't win the finals or the Stanley Cup. Somewhere you have to
draw a line," Kidd said. "The biggest thing is you have to win with
class and you have to lose with class. Hopefully somebody will learn
that."

Kidd also denied yelling "they choked," or any derivation thereof, as he
danced across the court with two fingers extended on each hand at the
end of Game 4. He did, however, admit to using profane language.

New Jersey has used any perceived slight as bulletin board material
during this series, drawing further upon the lack-of-respect issue that
has been one of the themes to their season.

Kenyon Martin said the Nets took umbrage with the antics of Paul Pierce
and Antoine Walker at the end of Game 3, when the Celtics completed
their comeback from a 21-point deficit in the fourth quarter.

"If we win the series, then I'll act like that. They won one game and
they're jumping all over the table like they won a championship. They
ain't won nothing," Martin said.

Game 5 is Wednesday at 9 p.m. EDT, with the series returning to Boston
for Game 6 at 7 p.m. Friday - when Kidd will learn what the Boston crowd
thinks of his latest comments.

"When you go into a town where nobody likes you, people are going to say
things to try to get into your head," Pierce said Tuesday. "But you've
got to understand, that's playoff basketball."

Kidd's teammate, Richard Jefferson, noted the Celtics have stopped
claiming they are the superior team, just as Pierce hasn't repeated his
boast from before the series that the Nets had no one who could stop
him.

The only person to stop Pierce in Game 4 might have been Scott, who
called a timeout in an effort to rattle Pierce before he attempted two
free throws with 1.1 seconds remaining and Boston trailing by two.

After the timeout, Pierce missed the first free throw.

Tuesday's headlines in Boston could have read: "Paging Dr. Heimlich" -
except that one of the New York tabloids already used that phrase after
the Nets blew a 21-point lead in the fourth quarter of Game 3.

"We choked when we lost in the fourth quarter, and that's what the
headline said," Jefferson said. "Paul Pierce missed a free throw. He
choked.

"You might think it's a dirty word, but you're telling the truth.
There's been a lot of words said throughout this series."