Game Three Half

Oh man, that really bit.  Looked like the C's (re-)figured out how to play
defense against NJ there for a bit in the second quarter, but the last two
minutes or so belied that.  The announcers were concerned about the poor
shooting, but of course, this didn't concern me as much as the poor
defense, as I (like most of us) followed the team throughout the year and
watched their games, so I know that it's about defense for this team: if
they get their D going on, the O will follow.  Plus, at some point they've
got to hit those bunnies in the paint, right?  Anyway, that's how my
thinking went.

It's on of "those" games; the "Let's Dig Ourselves a Hole!" kind.  If the
C's eventually win, they will have come out in the fourth after the battle
that the third promises to be, and shut down the Nets at one point,
sealing the victory.  If they lose, I fear it will because they either
came out of the half without any fire and defensive pressure and dig
another, second half, hole, or because they lose that defensive pressure
in the final quarter after the aforementioned battle of the third.

It's all about the D.  You can lay off Kidd near the arc, but not Luscious
Harris.  Don't give Martin, Kidd, or any other Net the open free-throw
jumper.  And if I can mention things other than defense for a second: take
care of the ball, take your time on the shot, try to make a few more
layups.

I know this isn't news, but we need a backup/heir apparent point guard.  I
love Strick and Delk, really I do -- I hope the team keeps both -- and I
actually do think they can play some backup point minutes.  But NJ tends
to put pressure on the Celtic point when Kenny not in the game.
Unsurprisingly, with good results.  Again, we've seen this all year (in
Strick's case) or at least since he got here (Delk).  Before we get that
pg (Hope, thy name is Omar Cook), I'd like to see more of Walker bringing
it up against guys like Martin and Collins rather than Delk or Strick
against whoever is going to steal the ball on that play.

Bird