From: JB [mailto:james.metz@verizon.net]
Sent: May 16, 2002 9:08 AM
To: Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com; Celtics@igtc
Subject: Re: [Celtics' Stuff "the Hornets' advancement...would be 'an
embarrassment' to the league...." Russ Granick

on 5/16/02 7:44 AM, JB at james.metz@verizon.net wrote:

 http://www.sportserver.com/basketball/nba/general/story/399505p-3179828c.ht
ml

Wesley hinted that the officiating could have been linked to NBA deputy
commissioner Russ Granik's televised remark that the Hornets' advancement in
the playoffs would be "an embarrassment" to the league.

"You saw it, it was very evident what went on out here," Wesley said.
"There's no question that it wasn't right."
        ***********

   There was another article yesterday, which I couldn't find, in which
Silas blasted Granick for making such a comment. He said he didn't believe
the league would actually take steps to influence a series, he said that it
made the league look bad and opened the door for those types of accusations.
   I posted the box score from last night, to see if there would be some
attempt by the refs to balance the foul calls and surely there was, although
no Jersey starter fouled out, while Baron Davis the #1 man and P.J. Brown
both did. It's easy to balance the stat. sheet by calling fouls on bench
players.
   We've discussed many times, the temptation of the league, for marketing
purposes, or even the ref's in a betting scandal, to influence the games
outcome. We always back down, at the point of "how could they keep it a
secret, so many would have to know."
   My theory is this: If the league wanted the ref's to favor a team, they
would only have to send down a few messages. "Hey, take a look at Kenny
Anderson pushing off with his lead arm," or  "Tony Battie  is holding Kenyon
Martin on every play." It's really not that hard. If you review film and
focus the ref's on a particular situation, they will see it every time and
so subtly the game is changed. A certain player, no longer gets his spot on
the floor, or his pet move, or a strong defensive team is penalized, because
the league sends an edict to control "rough" play.
   If Pierce and/or Walker got the treatment Iverson gets, we'd have swept
both series. Jason Kidd may also get to the line, far more than will seem
fair. If he does, Anderson will be sitting a lot. Lets hope that Strickland
and Delk play well and the ref's become embarrassed, by savvy writers like
Bob Ryan.
   Even if the league is not involved in any favoritism, we have to take one
of the first two in N.J, to take over the home court advantage. I did not
like the officiating on Tuesday night in Detroit. As Antoine said, during
the Philadelphia series, the crowd at the Fleet took care of the ref's. If
Jason Kidd gets to the line like Iverson did, we could be in big trouble.

      JB

                       Unchain My Heart !