Re: Bill Russell

Dan said:
The Celtic organization has more going for it than just banners. It has
spawned generations of fans and successful sportsmen and businessmen. Witness
the number of coaches around the League and the mixed ages of past players
attending games.
-------Seems to me there are several reasons for this.  First, the history of
labor relations is such that the glory teams of the Russell era had players
who had little chance to change teams absent a trade concocted by the owners,
so folk like Russell, Cousy, Havlicek etc. were forced to/allowed to stay in
Boston for their entire careers, thus strengthening their identities with the
team.  Second, while my memory is hazy, I think back to the year the Celtics
first won a title (1957) and I think the only two teams playing under the
same name in the same city are the Celtics and Knicks.  That continuity helps
build a history.  Do you think the folks in Sacramento know or care about the
Cincinnati Royals?  The Lakers had a pathetic ceremony hoisting some banners
for the Minneapolis Lakers THIS YEAR.  Third is the presence, in various
degrees of activity, or Red Auerbach through all ot it.  When Pitino came in
(and I figured he was as good a choice as any to take the reins - I was
wrong), what ticked me off the most was that he fired everyone who had
historical ties to the team, from Red (maybe exiled more than fired in Red's
case) on down to locker room guys.  This flew in the face of the tradition of
which Dan speaks, of which Russell speaks, and of which even folk like Walker
are beginning to speak.  Finally, there is Russell himself, ho has carved out
an enigmatic and massive presence in Celtic history.  I assume you all saw
the bit last night when Cheryl Miller interviewed him?  She said something
like, "I'm a reporter and I have never been nervous about an interview, but
now my hands are shaking."  or some such, at which point she spent a minute
with Russell.  He has that effect.