A little more about Kidd vs. Payton

Hello all,

> The closest comparison I can think of is early-career Magic and Isiah.
> Magic
> hadn't become the scorer he eventually was. He wasn't a good shooter. But
> even then, he controlled the game. Isiah was an explosive scorer and racked
> up plenty of assists, but he didn't dominate a game the way Magic did.
> Eventually Isiah improved in that area, but he never matched Magic. Same
> with Kidd and Payton. GP doesn't control a game the way Kidd does.

Well I would agree "stylewise" Kidd and Magic were similiar, and GP and
Isiah were also kinda similiar. There is alot of merit to that comparison.
But its
a bit of an oversimplification.

Kidd is a poor shooter, and Magic was not. Shooting is a big part of the
game...
even if you don't score alot you should try to shoot a high percentage. Being
a poor shooter like Kidd and a mediocre defender like Magic is too much
to overcome and be considered great. GP is much closer to Isiah, then Kidd is
to Magic IMHO. Kidd passes and defends like Magic, but shoots like j-will on
a bad night. Hehe.

I do think Kidd certainly knows HOW to really play hoops. He has a great
feel for it, rather like Larry Bird.  He just lacks a soft shooting touch.

Also I think folks sometimes understimate the feel of the "unpure" point
guard.
Guys in the "Isiah" mold can score, defend, pass, and dribble

But I think they avoid the flashy high-turnover pass that makes the crowds
oooh and ahhh. See J- Will. They also dribble the ball more then Kidd. Most
good point guards are kinda like GP and Isiah. I do think this style works
better, and thats why its so common in the modern game.

Note that Seattle has made it well into the playoffs...with Payton. Payton
defintely is making his team better this year too. It think they get less
hype because they play out west, and because the west is so much stronger.

More importantly the Suns never did much with Kidd. If Jersey gets bounced in
the second round, I think my doubts about Kidd will be validated. What
Seattle is doing with their supporting cast is arguably more impressive then
what Kidd is doing. Seattle has some really weak players while Jersey is
kinda. NJ has good depth and decent starting talent.

I still think that one of the best players in the NBA deserves the MVP.
And I don't think GP should win it, point was he is just as worthy as Kidd..
and a better player to boot IMHO.

I would favour Kobe, Pierce, AI or Shaq over Kidd. These guys make a huge
difference too. If Jersey makes the finals though..I will have to admit I was
wrong.
If history repeats itself though I expect either the Celts Philly or the
Bucks to
bounce the Nets. The Bucks scare me the most. They really have had our
number.

Pete