Latest brush with greatness..

That note made my day - Thanks Josh!

I don't know if you (or anyone else for that matter) remember, but I wrote
to the list shortly after you invited me to join about 4 years ago
complaining about the quality of the broadcasting and mentioned that my wife
(who really liked Cousy) had a new nickname for Gorman - "Smithers" for his
at times almost obsequious deference to Heinsohn. Granted Tommy is a living
legend, but he really spouts some doozies and could really use a reality
check every once in a while. Cous' on the other hand never let his obvious
love for the green obscure his vision of what was actually happening on the
court.

BTW I agree 100% on your take of the trade - this is a real stinker in the
long term being made even worse in the short term by Obie's obvious
incompetence. (I've always had a 'Red Sox in the late 70's ' feeling about
this year - as with Zimmer they seem to win despite the coach.) If we were a
trade away from the championship this trade might be acceptable but sadly I
fear that is far from the case.

As I see it the keys to this season (apart from the subtraction of Pitino)
have been: (3) health - with Kenny and Battie back we're one of the
healthiest teams in the league this year; (2) Pierce - this guy just gets
better and better - I shudder to think what the team's offensive efficiency
would be without him; and (1) defense - Dick Harter should be HEAD coach
(and to think defense was supposed to be Pitino's specialty).

Hopefully the last three games are not a trend. Dallas (and Milwaukee too?)
seemed to clamp down hard on Pierce in the second half, willing to 'allow'
Walker or anyone else score the points on the gamble that this will get them
the win - and lately it has. Also the chemistry (didn't Wallace say he
thought it was so important earlier this year?) seems to have been damaged
by trade - not because it was such a bad trade in the short term (it *should
be a positive short term if Obie could figure it out) but perhaps because
cap dollars figured so prominently in it. We'll see how it pans out. I'm
crossing my fingers.

-TomM

PS - Isn't it ironic that JJ has been subject to such criticism post trade?
Now some folks are merely being consistent (like Mark) and I have absolutely
no problem with that (I've enjoyed your posts Mark - please keep it up).
However the Pollyannas on the list (everything green is great - any
criticism constructive or otherwise is verboten) seem to have really turned
on him. Why isn't Twon's excuse available - the guy IS very young (and
unlike Moiso he has shown savvy and ability). I wish him well and expect
that Joe Hironaka will be proven at least partially correct - Phoenix will
allow him to bloom (meanwhile making the inevitable rookie miscues). Still
can't get over it, two 1st rounders for Tony Delk . . .