Re: refs

Mega Dittos!! I couldn't agree more with your comments. I was beginning to wonder if I were the only one on the face of the earth that thought 90% of the charging calls in the Nets/Celtics series were bogus.

Shaq fouls every time he touches the ball. How about every stinking free-throw he shoots, he steps across the line before the ball reaches the goal. NONE of his free-throws should ever count. Am I the only one that this annoys the heck out of?

From: "Thomas Murphy" <tfmiii@worldnet.att.net>
To: "Celtic list" <celtics@igtc.com>
Subject: refs
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:14:06 -0700

So Ralph "Manchurian candidate" Nader has weighed in on NBA refs? Well I
have complaints too, but they are not just about favoritism (that's always a
problem). In particular I want to focus on how the game has changed in
response to an influx of a new generation of refs trained under Stern's
stewardship:

One of the key problems with refs today seem so focused on the letter of the
rules that they actually end thwarting the spirit behind the rules. I think
this has a lot to do with attempting to train refs as automatons conditioned
to 'reflex calls' rather than acknowledging the fact that reffing a game
requires judgement not just about facts but also about how a game is MEANT
to be played. Refs should be trained to understand the relationship between
the calls they make and the result they have upon play, taking into account
the context of the larger game - kind of like a judge who takes all the
available evidence into account when rendering a judgment. This would
require entrusting the refs with the responsibility for managing the overall
flow of the game, not simply the ability to make a given call at a given
time. Instead it seems as if they are instructed to make certain calls based
on particular criteria REGARDLESS of the overall context (and violence
within that context) of the call - resulting in weird inconsistencies in
levels of contact (for example: Kidd undercutting an airborne Pierce versus
Battie's 'flagrant foul', or Kobe's non-call elbow versus Bibby's 'foul' on
Kobe in the same sequence) - in a sense they've like judges whose judgment
has been deliberately neutered by 'mandatory sentencing' in order to comport
with some strange Skinnerian fantasy about how humans should react to
stimuli.

Case in point, the "no charge circle": as I understand it, this was
instituted to prevent the practice popularized by Laimbeer and other 'bad
boy' Pistons of jumping under the basket when they saw someone driving for a
lay-up in order to draw a charge and (not incidentally) undercut the
airborne opponent. This tactic was clearly illegal under existing rules (you
simply cannot stand under the basket and deny anyone attempting a lay-up any
place to land) but for whatever reason refs started rewarding such false
hustle defensive play (as well as allowing all sorts of thuggery) and the
league stepped in to attempt to return to status quo ante. The result? Now
we STILL have people jumping in at the last moment - after the opponent is
airborne in many cases - to draw 'charges' if only they are a fraction
outside the circle. Meanwhile Shaq can now drive his shoulder full force
into a defender who happens to be between him and the basket no matter how
long that defender has held that position because that defender is now
inside the 'no charge circle'. Not only has the actual intent of the rule
change been thwarted (refs still allow last-second jump-in-front 'planting
of feet' resulting in the undercutting of airborne lay-ups) but now they
ALSO refuse to call what should be obvious offensive fouls (Shaq is not
airborne coming in for a lay-up - he is actively dislodging positional
defenders with all his might) all because of a slavish attention to the
letter rather than the animating spirit behind the 'no charge' rule.

Eliminating the illegal D rules was a good first step in returning to the
NBA to a league guided by basic principles rather than pedantic attention to
minutia. The game would be further improved if refs were instructed to
maintain certain basic principles (the concepts of defensive position,
freedom of offensive movement and the importance of who initiates contact).
Refs should understand HOW and WHY such principles are central to the game
rather than being trained to focus on specific minutia intended to 'trigger'
calls (the conceptual basis for the now defunct illegal defense rules as
well as the current flagrant foul rules, the 'no charge zone' and
jump-in-front charges among others). The way the game is called today too
often the forest is missed for the trees.