Re: Mark Jackson?

At 09:49 AM 7/30/02 -0400, James A. Hill wrote:

>>Real GM is reporting that Denver is looking to sign restricted FA Blount
and
>>the Celtics will most likely allow them to.

>And some people say Cs management is clueless...

>>It is also saying that Denver may buyout Mark Jackson's contract or trade
>>him as Denver has 14 guys now and two more to sign.

>>For one year Jackson may be that veteran PG that we could use.  I know he
>>has played 15 years and has lost a step or two etc... But he can pass and
>>could run an offense from the PG position.  Mentor Bremer and the other
>>"PG's" and be the crunch time PG?

>>If we sign and trade Blount to Denver for Jackson and cash, does Jackson's
>>whole salary count against the luxury cap, or just the portion we pay?

>I'm assuming when you talk of just the portion we pay, you mean we would be
'paying' part of his salary using the cash >received from Denver rather than
our own cash.

Actually I meant the amount we contribute over and above the cash included
in the trade.

>As I understand it, it doesn't work that way. The cash received is really
just a way to balance our internal books and
>doesn't apply to any league calculations (except that there's a limit on
the amount of cash you can include in a deal).
>We've traded for his contract and the terms of that are what apply to our
cap and luxury tax liability.

Too Bad.  Well maybe he would have an interest in coming "after" his buyout
for the Min.

>We got cash when we traded for Kenny, as I recall (it was supposed to be
part of what made his contract palatable), but it
>didn't reduce the effect against our cap liability. If I'm wrong about
that, someone correct me please (a quick websearch
>just turned up the original cash that Portland sent with him to Toronto,
but I'm pretty sure that cash was included when
>passing him on to us).

>The closest relevant bit I find in the Salary Cap FAQ is
>http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#75
>Which doesn't say much except that the cash cannot be used to balance out
the salary differential to make the trade valid
>under the cap.
>However, the actual CBA is pretty unambiguous about team salary for the
league calculations including the **entire** amount >of any assigned
contract
>http://www.nbpa.com/cba/articleVII.html go to section 4.c

>Nice try, though.

I'm trying to find that "real" PG for you.  I always thought Jackson was a
gamer.

>Kim

<Jim