From: Ryan Lee [mailto:rlee_at_channing@yahoo.com]
Sent: July 25, 2002 2:23 PM
To: Celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Baker ...

 I think Chris Wallace made a good point when he said that even if Baker
doesn't average his All-Star numbers, and averages around 14 and 7 (boards)
, Baker will still make a significant impact.  Barring a healthy Alonzo,
there's nobody in the Atlantic Division or even the Eastern Conference who
can really shut down Vin.  If Vin can get the ball where he wants it, and
Walker and Pierce don't complain too much about sharing the ball more, I
think Vin can put up 15 and 8 a game.  Actually now that I think of it,
besides Alonzo, the fully healed Atlanta frontcourt (Ratliff, Mohammed,
Abdur-Rahim) can probably shut Vin down but that's where Walker and Pierce
can pick up the slack.
As for veteran point guards, I would take either McGinnis or Best if they
are still available.  Best is a bit faster than McGinnis off the dribble and
has a better shooting touch but McGinnis won't be a defensive liability on
the court because he's taller than Travis.  I dunno, either will do.  Greg
Anthony has decent D but he can't shoot to save his life.  Wasn't he from
UNLV?  It seems none of those UNLV guys ever learned to shoot the ball well.
Anyway, I agree that Hardaway would be a bust.  In his hey day he was up
there with Stockton and KJ in the West Coast but now he's painful to watch
without his speed anymore.  His killer crossover hasn't killed anyone in
years.  If the Celts did pick him up, it would be to play him for 10 minutes
a game and coach the young guys on how to play the position.