From: Ryan Lee [mailto:rlee_at_channing@yahoo.com]
Sent: July 24, 2002 3:06 PM
To: Shawn Niles; celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Ode to Kenny

 No no no, Paul is not that out of control but his lack of ballhandling and
passing gets him into trouble.  I think the original point was lost in all
of this.  I was not criticizing the Paul's offensive fouls (which some were
valid charges) but the fact that Cecil loves to deride Kenny for all  the
wrong reasons.  The fact of the matter is that one cannot single out Kenny
alone for not passing.  Pierce is much more blatant than Kenny when it comes
to missing an open man for a pass.  He drives into multiple defenders and
puts himself into position to be called for these bogus charges.  I don't
argue that the league rigged all the refs to have Jersey win but had Paul
made the extra pass, alot of those charges would not have been called in
those crucial moments.
  And yes, what you described about the defender slipping under the man in
the air is totally right.  It's not a charge but a blocking foul.  Kidd did
do that several times and got away with it but there were a few fast breaks
where Pierce had someone on the wing with him and instead of passing he'd
just take out the defender.  Paul needs to learn how to utilize his
teammates more.  If Toine can finally learn team ball, Pierce should be able
make the change as well.
I may be in the minority but I wish Kenny the best of luck in Seattle or
whatever team he ends up on.
  Shawn Niles <shizzjr@hotmail.com> wrote: I may agree with you partially,
but your original post made it sound as
though Paul was continually out of control and I don't feel as though that
was the case. I think a big part of it was NBA and NBC wanting the 2 big
markets in the finals. Rodney had a few charges called on him that were
bogus too.

I think the rule does need to be revisited. A post here a number of months
ago outlined the reason for that little circle being added under the basket.

It was to stop guys from jumping in as an offensive player was already in
the air. But it still happens. If a player is in the air and a defender
jumps in front of him and plants his feet, it is not a charge.