PG draft

I don't know where I read it exactly, but there was some
talk from the Celts that 2003 could be a deep draft for
point guards (right now it doesn't seem like a deep draft
for anything).

Compared to recent years, I'm not convinced this will be
the case.

There is one guy with all the tools: 6-1 Chris Duhon at
Duke. There's no reason to expect he'd be around into the
mid-teens of round one.

And there is 6-2 Luke Ridnour in the Pac 10, a guy I know
nothing about. 6-3 Kirk Hinrich at Kansas.

In the Big East, you have two good scoring points in 6-2
Troy Bell (BC) and 6-2 Marcus Hatten (St John's) plus
little Chris Thomas at Notre Dame.

The Tarheals are reportedly bringing in the top HS
pointguard in 6-0 Raymond Felton.

Not too exciting. Troy Bell is a winner in my book, but
his shooting and turnovers and everything else were
subpar last year.

Its not like we can trade our two picks for an
established point guard either.

Trading Joe Forte's 1 million contract literally made the
difference between being over or under the luxury tax
line next year. But the scariest detail of all is that
Boston is already at 54 million next summer, with only
seven players still under contract.

To say the Baker trade was a salary cap move is a gross
distortion. It was spectacularly financially reckless.

Unless revenues increase markedly (please come back
Michael Jordan!), Gaston will be forced to field a 9 man
roster. In fact, he can't even afford to sign both first
round draft picks without bringing the payroll over 56
million. Should he stick to his tax pledge, he'll need to
find five guys willing to take 350K minimum rookie
contracts. That's the bind Chris Wallace has put Paul
Gaston in, which is probably why everything needs to go
100% perfectly this season or he is fired by next summer.

Is 50 wins enough? 50 wins plus one playoff round enough?

Hypothetically, a team could add a full 12-man roster of
first round picks from next years draft (depending on
where they were picked) at a combined payroll that would
equal Baker's salary alone.

That's possibly why a year ago, Leo and Wallace were
boasting of how you needed rookies and their longterm,
cheap contract in order to compete in the league these
days. Sounded smart then. A year later, Joe Forte had to
go because he would have counted as 1/52 of next year's
luxury tax threshold.

Joe H.

Don't worry guys, I actually realize I've been spamming
the list these past few days with possibly redundant or
lame posts. At this rate I should apply for a freaking
job with Hormel, or something. Anyway, I can say this
IGTC list has more value to me by far than any of the
local or national papers, Bill Simmons' column etc.

---

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?