". . . we have two scholarships left''

At this point, C's savor Baker deal: Now must replace Kenny

by Mark Cofman
Wednesday, July 24, 2002

Much of the NBA community views the Celtics' acquisition of Vin Baker as a
major gamble.

Baker is a maximum-salary player who is four years removed from his last
All-Star season. He has four years left on a seven-year, $86 million
contract.The Celtics view the deal, in which they shipped Kenny Anderson,
Vitaly Potapenko and Joseph Forte to Seattle for Baker and Shammond Williams,
as a major gamble, too. But for very different reasons.

``We've lost something that is certainly not insignificant in Kenny
Anderson,'' Celtics general manager Chris Wallace said yesterday at a press
conference to introduce Baker and Williams at The Sports Authority Center in
Waltham.

``Kenny had his finest season in probably the past four or five years, and he
was a big part of this team reaching the Eastern Conference finals. It's
certainly difficult to part with him.``But Kenny will be 32 years old at the
end of this season and he's in the last year of his contract. There's no
guarantee that he was going to be with us beyond this season. So we lose him,
we've lost (free agent) Rodney Rogers, we'll probably lose Erick Strickland,
but we bring back Vin Baker and Shammond Williams, who I don't think people
around here know much about except the real hard-core fans. But Shammond can
really light up the scoreboard and create shots off the dribble. He's a real
gym rat.''

Williams' affinity for the gym notwithstanding, the Celtics are going into a
season without a bona fide starting point guard. Therein lies the real gamble
from the team's perspective. Williams, summer-league standout J.R. Bremer and
veteran Tony Delk will be among the candidates at training camp, with the
Celtics likely to sign another point guard that slips through the cracks of
what has become an extremely tight free agent market.

``Right now it'll be by committee, but we have two scholarships left,'' said
Celtics director of player personnel Leo Papile, referring to a couple of
roster spots that must be filled. ``Remember, Shammond is a pretty good
player. It's like the NFL when you don't get a lot of snaps in games. All of
a sudden you throw a touchdown pass on Sunday and people are wondering why
you don't play that much.

Asked if Williams could be effective playing 25-plus minutes, Papile said:
``I don't see why he's not. But that's not to say we won't see what's out
there and make a move after the fallout in the market. Remember, last year
Strickland came here on Halloween.''

For their part, Baker and Williams said they were overjoyed with the trade,
which actually decreases the Celtics' payroll by roughly $1 million this
season. Baker, who has four years and $56 million remaining on a seven-year
contract, answered a variety of questions ranging from his days growing up in
Old Saybrook, Conn., to a lasting image he created during the lockout season
as overweight and overpaid. Baker also addressed the assertion that a few
subpar years in Seattle had destroyed his confidence.

``I definitely don't think there's any problem with my confidence,'' said
Baker. ``My confidence is at an all-time high. Before the three dislocated
toes last year just before the playoffs, I thought I was playing the best
basketball I had played in the last three years. So my confidence is still
there, and I feel I can be a terrific player here, helping a team that was so
close go even further this time.

``I'm going to work for the next two months to get ready for the season.
Right now I'm about 260. My playing weight is about 255. By the time training
camp arrives, I should be right around or under 255.''

If Baker is in shape and can even come close to resembling the player he was
in Milwaukee and during his first few years in Seattle, the Celtics will have
a low-post scorer who can rebound unlike any they've had during Wallace's
five-year tenure as GM. The Celtics' braintrust believes a chance to
rejuvenate the 6-foot-11 center-forward far outweighs the risks in taking on
his hefty contract.

As far as the point guard situation is concerned, stay tuned.

CeltsSteve

"Life Is a Bowl of Gumbo. Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much!"