The Bottom Line

The Bottom Line for this deal is clear: if this deal puts the Cs in
position to be legitimate contenders for the NBA title, it can be defended.
(The Cs may have overpaid still, but that is quibbling.)

For this deal to make the Cs legitimate contenders, all or almost all of
the following must happen:

1. Vin Baker has to pull his head out of his butt, bigtime. He is going to
have to become a 6th man of the year finalist, if not winner. He is going
to have to play like he did five years ago.

2. Kedrick Brown has to emerge as a quality NBA starter. Sorry, guys, I
like Eric Williams' attitude as much as the next guy, but he is not a
starting caliber NBA 4 on a championship team. Kedrick needs to become a
defensive stopper and a guy who can finish the break and bury open Js. If
he doesn't, Paul is going to have a much harder time when defenses stack
against him as in the NJ series.

3. Delk and/or Williams have to have career years. Someone is going to have
to play well at the point.

4. Walker's game has got to grow dramatically, to second team or third team
all-pro levels. That means fewer bonehead shots, a higher shooting %, and
more assists. A lot more. When Antoine gets 6 or more assists, the Cs win
80 percent of their games. He becomes a genuine superstar. at 3-4 assists
per game, with a sub 40 fg %, he is a mixed blessing.

5. Paul Pierce has to continue to improve. History is cruel but clear: to
win an NBA title you need to have one of the three or four best players in
the game on your roster. It has been that way in 21 of the last 23 years
(Detroit in 89 and 90 the exception), and all but four or five years in the
thirty years prior to 1980. Paul needs to make first team all-NBA. He is
close, but he is not there yet.

Now the chances that all of this will happen, in my view, are well below
50-50. Indeed much closer to zero. My problem is that we could run this
type of speculation for a good 20 teams in the NBA and get them to the NBA
finals as well. So the question then becomes, if the Cs hit on all
cylinders, and every other team hits on all cylinders, who wins? I think
the Cs general talent level is no better and probably worse than several
teams in the East, and possibly half or more of the teams in the west. That
is the cold hard truth and why this is such a dubious strategy.

For those content with a playoff appearance or two, and maybe an advance to
the second or even third round, the chances are quite a bit better,
especially due to the weak quality of the east at present. But that is not
my standard, and it has never been the operating logic of the Cs or any
other championship team in NBA history.

But this is the path Wallace has chosen. It leaves us no cap room for four
years, and an environment where there is no patience to develop young
players. It is, to be frank, a recipe for mediocrity and decline, unless
most or all of the above five conditions are met.

Bob McChesney

Robert W. McChesney
Your Man in Urbana
Institute of Communications Research