My cousin Vinny

I know y'all been anxiously awaiting my opinion on the trade, since there's been hardly any mention of it on the list :)
Seriously, though, I think everything that could be said about it pretty much has been said. The one thing that crossed my mind looking at this trade and that I haven't seen mentioned, is that this trade seems like a trade that would be made by an owner who's getting ready to sell his team in the next couple of years.
Consider this: Thanksdad avoids the tax this season, saving millions in the process, slices another mil or so off the payroll for this year, and a few mil next year, again coming under the (higher) luxury tax threshold if minimum-wagers are used to fill out the lineup. If Vinny does reasonably well in the beginning, he's got a team with three stars that can compete for the EC title in the short term, thereby increasing the team's value. He already raised the ticket prices and Baker will be used to justify these increases, at least until he bombs. Afterwards, who cares if the team's cap is anchored down by three max contracts? Wallace, Pond Scum and ThanksDad are obviously living in the moment. They won't be around to clean up the mess if this momentous gamble fails.

As for Vinny himself, I mostly expect him to fit like an overweight Mercer with Pervis Ellison's health and Kenny's contract. I'd put the chances of that at about 80-90%. This year he might tantalize us with remnants of his game, occasionally leading us to believe he will actually work out for us, kind of like Kenny and Pervis did in their first seasons with us. I think Oliver Miller could do for us what we expect Vinny to do, but for 1/20 of the cost, no risk of a long-term contract, and no illusions about his ever getting in shape. He'd be a better fit, too, and would cause an uptick in the earnings of the local fast food industry all by himself. As it is now, all we can do now is hope that Baker finds a new lease on his basketball life, for - like Bill Bird said - hope is all we have left.
Kestas