RE: [Celtics' Stuff Vin Baker

You need to fax this to the BT

-----Original Message-----
From: Berry, Mark S [mailto:berrym@BATTELLE.ORG]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 7:09 AM
To: Celtic igtc list (E-mail); Celtic yahoo list (E-mail)
Subject: [Celtics' Stuff Vin Baker

The thing that worries me about this rumor is Chris Wallace's "no comment."
He usually laughs wild rumors off with a "don't believe everything you read"
or "that's not going to happen" kind of comment.

This would be a terrible, terrible trade. I'm all for cashing in Kenny's
expiring contract, because it's not going to provide any cap space to add to
the team. If you let him play out the season and walk, you gain nothing but
$$$. Of course, as we've seen in the last couple of days, that seems to be
all that matters.

The worst thing you can do with Kenny, however, is trade his ridiculous,
previously unmovable contract for an even more ridiculous, unmovable
contract. If you're going to take chances, I'd much rather take the chance
on someone like Austin Croshere. At least Croshere is entering what should
be the prime of his career, reportedly has a good work ethic, and has a
legitimate argument that his struggles have been tied directly to his coach.
With Vin Baker, you're trading for a guy on the downside of his career, with
a lousy work ethic, who has no one to blame for his struggles but himself.
The Sonics have tried everything imaginable to salvage Baker's career, and
nothing has worked.

The hope that he simply has to get away from the big, strong players in the
West to regain his previous form is silly. It wasn't the competition that
caused Baker's problems-it was his laziness and personal problems. He got
out of shape, lost his game and hasn't been able to find it. He's not going
to move to the East, play center, and suddenly rediscover the game he had
six years ago.

No, you'd be stuck with Vin Baker even longer than we would have been stuck
with Vitaly (who would go to Seattle along with Kenny and probably Forte in
the proposed trade). This trade is just so terrible on so many levels... and
yet I do believe it is being discussed.

Here's a scenario for you (not my idea, but I wish it was): Kenny to the
Bulls for a signed-and-traded Travis Best. The Bulls get a veteran PG in the
last year of his contract as Jay Williams insurance. They have the cap room
to take on the contact. The Celtics get a younger veteran point guard in the
Jim O'Brien mold (he can hit open jumpers), and they get salary relief,
because Best probably could be had for something around $4.5 million. Best
is a Springfield guy, so he would have incentive to come home and start for
the Celts. With the savings from Kenny's salary, the Celtics could re-sign
Rogers. Everybody's happy. Right?

Just no Vin Baker. Please!

Mark

Will You Find True Love?