Luxury tax

Very thorough and detailed analysis of the luxury tax
and it's potential impact on the Celtics roster.  It
may however be a moot point, as the NBA announced last
night that the luxury tax will not be in effect this
year. Michael Jordan's return and the related revenues
that it generated was cited as one of the reasons that
the tax threshold would not be triggered for the
coming season.  If I understand the implications of
this, we should be able to resign Rodney under the
current CBA, and still be under the tax threshold when
Kenny Anderson comes off the books next year. It is
also entirely possible that the tax will not be
triggered next year either.  The real winners based on
last nights announcement are the high spending teams
such as Portland and Dallas.  They still have the high
payrolls, but are not going to pay a penalty for it
this year.

In any case, Gaston seemingly no longer has the luxury
tax excuse for not signing Rogers, and will have a lot
of angry season ticket holders on his hands if he
raises prices and lowers payroll; not to mention the
message this sends to Walker and Pierce.  I for one
believe that Gaston will do the right thing, and pay
Rodney what he is worth.  It is just a buyers market,
and he is being a businessman.
http://autos.yahoo.com