Re: responses to ravi, gene, etc.

On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, at 01:56 PM, Kim Malo wrote:

Yeah, I know. Admitted. See above about drive you crazy, which he clearly did occasionally to the coaches even at this game. ANd it's easy to see where attitude could be a problem. OTOH, weight's been an issue in the past and unlike Oliver Miller, it was clear that this time he's in better shape than he's been in the past. There's a lot of Sherman Douglas in there methinks.

Still true that you could just SEE the difference in offensive flow when a true, take charge point was on the court in that game and probably as a basis for comparison when the Cs played.
For me, it's not about his weight, but his height: he seems too short to defend bigger NBA points. Sure, defense is all about moving your feet, but it's also about being tall enough to bother the vision and passing lanes of the offensive guard.

But hey, at this point, I'd take back everything I've ever said about him.
I am ... distraught ... that the C's point guards could be Anderson, Delk, Damon Jones (?) Cook, and Bremer -- or maybe Forte instead of Cook, who may be gone (I can't tell, head swimming). Unbelievable.

And as for The Big O (and we're not talking about Oscar Robertson here), I had my good laugh, now it's time to stop playing and send him back to the NDBL. Whaddaya mean, you're not kidding?

Mmm, well I agreed that Cook has some point guard skills. Certainly one of the most solid ball handlers I've seen (and man I wish he could inject PP with some of that - PP loses control way too often on his dribble IMO)
. I suspect any real preference on the part of the Cs for Bremer is because he's an easier to judge basic WYSIWYG for a backup. And there are enough players in development that they probably like that reliability in meshing with everyone else if they're seeing what I'm seeing with Cook - skills with issues around leadership and decision making. *shrug* It's also only one game. Bremer certainly looks like a permanent backup, while some people seemed to be slotting Cook as a starter this year making KA unnecessary (if I'm misremembering and that was only on the newsgroup, my apologies).
Hmm, good points, especially in regards to Bremer's attractiveness having to do with his role as backup. They were high (again, no pun intended) on Wayne Turner, Damon Jones (part one), and every other "Point Guard of the Future" that has been trotted out in recent years, though. Maybe I should my own damn advice and calm down about possibilities -- at least until they are actualities -- but I can't help seeing evil portents in the sky. Bad ju-ju, bwana.

Bird