Re: [Celtics' Stuff Re: I don't think NY have the 4.6mil exception

	Kevin, I went to the chart you linked and it seems to me that is
from last season, just showing who did/didn't use the exemptions they
had available. If you click on the labels (mid level, or 1 million),
above the chart, you will see the players that the exemptions were used
on. For Boston, it was Milt Palacio (the mid level) and Chriss Carr (the
1 million). For the definitive answer to your original post, I'll defer
to Musty's posting of the text from the collective bargaining agreement
which he posted here yesterday, as follows:
JB

{True, indeed. Here is pasted, from Q/A #16 of the collective bargaining
agreement FAQ:

<< MID-LEVEL SALARY EXCEPTION --   This exception is also called the
"Middle Class Exception."  This exception
says that a team can offer a contract equal to the average NBA salary
every year, even if they are over the cap.  This
exception is new to the current CBA, and is being "ramped up" to the
average salary over a period of four years. Here is the
value of the average salary exception for each year of the CBA:

98-99
         $1.75 million
99-00
         $2.00 million
00-01
         $2.25 million
01-02
         $4,538,000 (based on 108% of the average salary from 00-01)
thereafter
         108% of the average salary for the previous season

This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It may be
used for contracts of up to six years in length.  Signing a
player to a multi-year contract does not affect a team's ability to use
this exception every year.  For example, a team can sign
a player to a six-year contract using this exception and still use the
exception the following year to sign another player.  Also
see question #17 for more information on the availability and use of
this exception.

$1 MILLION EXCEPTION -- This exception carries over from the previous
CBA.  Like the mid-level salary exception, it
ramps up over several years:

98-99
       $1.00 million
99-00
       $1.10 million
00-01
       $1.20 million
01-02
       $1.30 million
02-03
       $1.40 million
03-04
       $1.50 million
04-05
       $1.60 million

This exception may not be used two years in a row.  It may also be split
and given to more than one player, and can be used
to sign players for up to two years.  Also see question #17 for more
information on the availability and use of this exception. >>

Which indicates that the mid-level exception can be used every year; but
the one million exception is the one that the cba rules prohibit usage
two years in a row.

Source: <http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap#16>

Best-
musty celtic (Joe)}