Centers of attention

After watching last night's TNT game, it is apparent that we missed the
boat on Haywood.  Can't say as I blame the front office afetr the trouble
we had with the last North Carolina center we took.  However, it seems
obvious that we can't take the next step without filling the defensive
hole in the Center.  So, who's available?  Here's my list:

Zo Mourning, Heat - Wow, wouldn't he look great as the enforcer for Pierce
and Walker.  Problem is, he earns $18 million this year, and even if
Gaston is willing to take the hit, we'd have to trade everyone but Kenny,
Paul, and Antoine to make the salaries match.  A nice dream, but pretty
unlikely.

Wallace, Portland.  Rasheed makes $14,400, so we have nearly the same
salary problem with him, not to mention the mental baggage he brings with
him.

Jackson, Foyle, Dampier - Golden State.  I'm not sold on any of these guys
as an inprovement over what we have.  They earn $3.2 Mill, $4.4 mill, and
$6.2 mill respectively

Ike Austin, Memphis.  This guy was the hottest property in the league two
years ago and now earns $5.7 mill to sit on the bench for the worst team
in the NBA.  Anyone know if he's injured or just a load?  Would he be
worth a rehab attempt?

Shawn Bradley, Dallas.  The big stiff only goes for $4.5 mill and wouldn't
be expected to do anything but block shots and defend the post.  With
Finley out, Dallas definitely needs some swing men, and could be
interested in JJ.  Call me crazy, but I think that type of deal, along
with a Mcleod and other fodder could be interesting.

John Amaechi, Utah.  Another hot commodity after his big year in Orlando.
Only $2.7 mill, he is an interesting journeyman.  Looks like Jarron
Jacjson has beaten him out of the starting role.

Jamaal Magloire- A bargain at $1 million.  This guy was terrific in his
workouts (gave Chris Mihm migraines) and always plays well against us.  As
a Kentucky product, I'm sure OB knows his abilities inside out.  He is
languishing behind Elden Campbell, and Charlotte needs a good swing man to
complement the shorter Wesley.

Not much to pick from, but I think Bradley or Magloire our best bets to
upgrade the 5.  Any deals that look reasonable to you?

	  Dave Wickerham
	  aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu
	  Saratoga Springs, NY