Re: NBA "justice"

>I don't understand why you people are so up in arms about this incident (other
>than Shaq being a Laker, of course :>). You're making judgments like you know
>what you're talking about.

Let's see--I've been a student of the game since my mom had me watch games
with her as a kid.  I played the game since I was 7 years old.  I've been a
student of the game in general and the Celtics in particular for 30
years.  Oh, yes--I also SAW THE FIGHT AS IT HAPPENED, and the replays later on.

>  I get fouled hard a few times in a pickup game, and
>I'm ready to punch someone out.

Me too.  I played street ball--no blood no foul rules--for 5 years.  It's
accepted that rules are a lot tighter in an "official" game, which is why
street ball exists.

>  Shaq has been subjected to this for many years,
>ever since he entered the league, and probably in college, too. Listen to NBA
>players - those who know what it's like to be on the NBA's "must-be-stopped"
>list, like Paul Pierce - have to say to about it.

The only reason Pierce gets hit as hard and as often as he does is because
the fouls often go uncalled.  Otherwise his prowess at the free throw line
makes it a low percentage play.  The last time Shaq hit free throws
consistently, it literally made headlines.

>Shaq had exhibited a saintly patience with "Hack-a-Shaq" defenders up to this
>point. He had his hand broken by that goon Matt Geiger, for chrissakes.
>What do
>you think, it doesn't hurt because he's big?

That's physics for you.  The fact is, a man who is over 7' tall and over
300 lbs. in top shape is a lot harder to hurt than most people.  If he's so
bloody dainty, why isn't his shoulder in a sling from all the times he's
lowered it going to the hoop? Must hurt like the dickens by now.

>As for his fine, the "slap on the wrist" actually cost him almost $800 000
>($784 000 in pay and the $15 000 fine).

He makes that much in interest from commercial endorsements.  The fact is,
at that level, most of his income already comes from somewhere other than
the NBA.  It literally is chump change to him.

>If he's a felon for lashing out at his
>abusers, then Bird and Parish (and many other Celtics) are felons, too, for
>lashing out at Laimbeer and others. But I bet you didn't call for Bird's or
>Parish's  arrests after they struck back.

I also saw Parrish and Laimbeer.  Old Battling Bill kept throwing elbows
with no regard to whose head was in the way.  He was dumb enough to go
after Robert, who literally swatted him down, face to face.  I don't recall
the Chief running across the Garden floor to nail Laimbeer from behind when
he wasn't even the one who started it.

>Some of you people need to get into a pickup game and get hit, hard, by
>multiple defenders, every time you get near the basket. Then you won't be so
>self-righteous about it.

Pretty arrogant of you to assume you're the ONLY one on a
basketball-related list who HAS.  You're wrong, of course.  My last game, a
few years ago, I had a bad leg from an ulcerated would, and I was
essentially playing on one leg.  the guy defending me was a foot taller, 70
lbs heavier, and was in the navy reserves.  He stuffed me a few times and I
blocked him out into the bushes a few times. then I started getting
doubled, and had to go outside the rest of the game (I had a great long
range shot).  A great time was had by all.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle