Re: Pardon my enthusiasm

> From: "James A. Hill" <jahill@leasingservice.com>
>
> If he's not willing to put in the work to correct it, then why not
> embarrass
> him until he does.  It's not the missing that is the problem, it is the
> lack
> of effort he puts in to correct it.
>
> This is their job.  If they don't want to put in the effort then why do
> they
> collect their paycheck?
>
> If they don't like it, find another job or put in the work.  Tough.

I love this myth that says if you're not perfect it's an imperfection of
your character or because you just don't work hard enough.  The corollary
is that is that if you work hard enough, only good things happen to you. I
know this may come as a shock, but bad things happen to people who work
hard, too, and not everyone can be perfect.  I'm not saying Shaq oughtn't
to work on free throws, because, frankly, if the officials are going to
allow him to bull his way in the paint and/or plant himself for longer
than three seconds, then he ought to take advantage of it, and, given that,
  free throws are about the only thing he would *need* to work on.

But it's also true that if you cut him because of that, you'd be a fool.
And if you tried to motivate someone by "embarrassing" them on their
imperfections, then you're only slightly better.

Tell me, Jim, are you the best at what you do?  If not, is it because you'
re some sort of lazy ass?  Do you feel good about getting your paycheck?
You probably do, and rightfully so, but so does virtually every NBA player,
  as well.  And just as rightfully.  It's naive to think NBA players are
paid to produce; they are paid to be available, injuries notwithstanding,
to their team.  They get paid regardless of production.

Some people work hard, do the best they can, and still fail or fall short
of expectations.  Wow, what a shock.  It's also true that *none* of us are
completely free of of that kind of guilt.  It's time to stop expecting
more of NBA players than you would the average person.  Sure, they get
paid a lot of money, but if society paid people what they deserve garbage
collectors (and other less-than-desirable but very necessary jobs),
educators, and the like would make far, far more than CEO's, professional
athletes, and stock traders.

Bird