Re: Give the kid a break, he's a junior in high school for ------ sake.

A few things on this Ravi:

We've been hearing about Lebron here in Ohio for three years now. There were
stories around here about him when he was a freshman claiming he was the
best high school prospect in the country-regardless of class. So this stuff
has been going on for some time now.

It sounds more and more like the kid isn't handling all this very well.
We've seen increasingly disturbing reports of his "entourage" and the like.
The SI cover just sickened me. Sure, a junior in high school probably thinks
it's great. But what responsible parent would allow it? How can anything
positive-other than a shoe contract or other nonsense (I've heard that his
mother is a "consultant" to a shoe company already)-come out of that?
Unfortunately, from what I understand, his mother has allowed another
man-not Lebron's father-to become a real mentor and advisor to this kid. And
more and more this guy sounds like just another hanger-on. You've all seen
the stories about Lebron considering declaring for the draft after this
season-before his senior season in high school.

Anyway, I find the situation mostly sad. The frenzy around the kid is
incredible. I understand they've moved the sectional final (early part of
the state basketball tournament) for Lebron's area to Gund Arena, home of
the Cleveland Cavs. I'm thinking about going up to see the kid for
myself-maybe I'm feeding the frenzy, I don't know.

Just some tidbits from close to the center of the action around Lebron. Ohio
State fans are clamoring for this kid. Of course, I'll be shocked if he ever
sets foot on a college campus and, in truth, I wouldn't want him at OSU
anyway if he's one year and done. I think those one-year players can do more
harm than good. Stephon Marbury, Tim Thomas, Eddie Griffin all left their
programs in worse shape than when they arrived.

Mark