Re: Frank Hughes/Nuggets

In a message dated 2/22/2002 4:22:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
francis@ai.mit.edu relays this from Frank Hughes:

> I'm no math major, but here is what the Nuggets will have as they head
> into the summer of 2003.
>
> The only players they will have under contract is whomever the two
> first-round picks turn out to be this year. James Posey, assuming they
> pick up the option on that contract. And nobody else. Which means they
> will have somewhere between $40 million and $50 million in cap space.
>
> Here is the list of free agents that summer: Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan,
> Gary Payton, Karl Malone, Jermaine O'Neal, Elden Campbell, Clifford
> Robinson, Juwan Howard, Donyell Marshall, Brad Miller, Reggie Miller,
> Alonzo Mourning, Chauncey Billups, Derrick Coleman, Dale Davis,
> Antonio Daniels and David Robinson. And this list does not include
> restricted free agents like Baron Davis, Andre Miller, Elton Brand and
> Wally Szczerbiak.

It's good to see that there will be a home for Derrick Coleman (and maybe
even Kenny Anderson who was omitted from the above list) since who the hell
else will want to play for Denver's "expansion team". I'm exaggerating, of
course, since there are those who will go anywhere if you overpay them but
unless a player happens to be a ski nut and a big Broncos' fan I don't think
Denver has any more appeal than the post-Jordan Bulls.

George