RE: [Celtics' Stuff

Like I said yesterday Joe, if this trade were for Charles Oakley or someone
I think could actually help this season, I wouldn't complain. I've been
leading the parade to get help for the playoff push. But Bryon Russell
doesn't help. There are plenty of swingmen on this team and Russell isn't
good enough (this season-which is all that matters since he'd be gone at the
end of this season) to be an upgrade. Sacrifice the pick for Oakley or
another big man? Sure. But not for Bryon Russell and his Eric Williams-like
production this season.

The truth is we don't know how good or bad this draft is going to be. Last
year's was exceptional, but even in the weakest drafts there are players
available late in the first round and even in the second who can help a
team. Your contention that the chances of finding them are low... well, what
are we paying Wallace, Papile, etc. for? Isn't that their job? They had
three picks in a great draft-a GREAT draft-and it looks like, at best,
they're 1-for-3 (I'm holding out hope for Kedrick). I'm not exaggerating
when I say you could have taken the first-round picks and thrown darts and
the majority of the time, you would have come away with more help than the
Celts got in this draft. They blew it, and there's no way out of it at this
point. The guys they did take have no value-NONE-so they can't sort it out
with trade. Now, if you want to argue that Wallace is so inept at drafting
players that he should just trade all his draft picks, you probably have an
argument.

Remember when Wallace indicated this draft was point-guard rich and
indicated that would be where the PG of the future would come from? What
happened to that plan? You realize that Kenny's contract is up after next
season, right? Who is going to take over? A rookie? Do you realize that
right now the two guys picked at 27th and 28th in the draft (Tinsley and
Parker) would be our answer at PG, but we couldn't trade for either guy even
if we offered Joe Johnson, a guy picked 17 spots earlier?

I'm angry about this for basketball reasons, for financial reasons, for
philosophical reasons. It's a trade that doesn't help this year's team and
doesn't help the future. All it does is protect the bottom line. If that
doesn't make you a little angry, I don't know what would.

Mark