FW: [Celtics' Stuff Stats for Bryon Russell

Great to have you back Joe,
I agree about the importance of veterans, even marginal ones. But what does
Russell give that Strickland or even Eric Williams do not? I'm not saying
"Don't bring in Bryon Russell because it takes minutes away from JJ and
Kedrick..." Believe me, the team is better off right now with anyone taking
minutes away from JJ. Kedrick-we'll see next year. But is Russell going to
take minutes away from Strickland or Williams? What does he offer? Nothing.
This isn't the Russell of thee or four years ago. The only reason for making
this trade is to dump the last year of Randy Brown's contract and the
first-round pick contract. You can say you're not excited about this
draft... and I understand that. But that pick could end up being somewhere
around 15 when you consider the improving teams in the East and the Celts'
schedule and recent struggles. This isn't the talent-rich draft of last
season, but there certainly could be some help available. This isn't about
cap room or filling a need. It's a money move, and it's giving away an
asset. It's terrible.
By the way, this luxury tax thing is really starting to bother me. What is a
rookie contract from the mid-first round worth? $1 million? Let's say that's
the difference between the luxury tax and no luxury tax. So you pay the $1
million for the rookie and another $1 million in tax. But teams under the
tax threshold also cash in on the tax paid by teams over the threshold. They
get a little windfall. It's not like the team is losing its own money. It's
sacrificing "found money." I think there's a difference, and it rubs me the
wrong way. Are you in it to win, or to line your pockets? Besides, in the
Celtics' case, you're only talking about one year, because they go way under
the cap in 2003. And another point... the Celtics received a huge financial
boost when Pitino walked away. Saved them millions. Why not apply some of
those savings toward the roster? They budgeted for $5 mill-plus for Pitino
anyway, right? Seems to me Gaston is making out pretty well on the
coaching/luxury tax front.
I don't see any defense for this kind of move. None.
Mark