...get off of McCloud

The second season starts tonight. I hope the Celtics
commit to eight consecutive quarters of good team
basketball against Denver and Golden State.

Obviously, the Celtics would like to start with a pair of
birdies to build a 9 game cushion above .500, ahead of
key test matches against the Lakers, Dallas etc. This is
one of those trips where the Celts need to totally focus
on getting the wins that can be got. We can dream about
beating the Lakers and Dallas but it is by no means a
lock. On the bright side, the February schedule is the
toughest by far this year.

It probably shouldnt even be in the back of their minds,
but if they mess up out West they might be flirting
with .500 and 8th place by the time they return home to
the Fleet Center.

According to the Associated Press, Coach Mike Evans says
that if Antonio McDyess plays tonight, it wont be as a
starter, nor will it involve spurts of longer than 5 or 6
minutes. I hope its not a  bluff to misdirect Obies game
preparation. Of course, Evans isn't exactly Belichekian.

The replacement starter, Zendon Hamilton, isnt half the
player that McDyess is. Actually, Raef LaFrentz plays
power forward these days. I suppose thats why hes on
the trade rumor mill.

Half way out the door, Van Exel has been averaging fewer
points and more assists of late. But in his last game
before the break, he dropped 20 points and 16 assists in
a win over Portland.

Off the bench, Denver has solid vets who pretty much know
what they are doing. The Nuggets can rely on hustle play
from George Hey, hey, you, you get off of McCloud, Ryan
Bowen (who got rave reviews from Scottie Pippen in
Denvers last game before the break) and the recent
return of the frogman, Tariq Wahad. Avery Johnson and
Voshon Lenard both have specific talents.

The McNuggets are coming off a 40-win season (I think)
and thats probably what kind of team they are (.500-ish)
had McDyess not missed the entire season to date.

In that regard, Im not sold that Denver has to make a
blockbuster trade. Van Exel in particular should shut up
and play. They may be pretty good next year (look at the
Celtics).

Then again, Denver is 17-games-under-.500 already. You
can attribute it to mediocre starters, particularly at
center and on the two wings, where Calbert inside the
bunker with the Vice President Cheaney and James pocket
full of Posey risk being overmatched nearly every night.
Calbert BTW is coming off an impressive 14-point game.
Basically, the entire Denver team is coming off one of
their better performances of the year in beating
Portland. They also beat the Lakers three weeks ago.

For Boston, it looks like Kedrick Brown wont be ready
for another week, but at least Joe Johnson let his hair
down a bit in the rookie game. I just got back from New
York and Washington and was able to see a few games
involving either the Celtics or their players. I dont
have any intelligent observations to make to this list,
but Im as excited as everyone else about Bostons season
and chances down the road.

Joe H.

p.s. The first Celtics-Lakers game is a week from today.

****

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
Pour crier votre adresse : http://www.nomade.fr/courrier/ouvrir.asp
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?