Nets loss, etc.

This loss just crystallizes what should have been apparent for more than a
week-the team isn't playing well. Sounds simple, but it can get clouded
during deceptive wins, like the victories over the T-Wolves and Cavs. The
team is struggling, and for all the talk about the offense and point guards,
the problem is the defense.

Trace back to the losses to Chicago and Miami, and the problem then was
defense. The defense wasn't great against either Minny or Cleveland, but it
was good enough in spurts to get the job done. Yesterday it was awful, and
the Nets will exploit any kind of defensive lapse.

The circumstances surrounding yesterday's defeat, though, were especially
troubling. The C's had three days to prepare. They were on national TV
against their biggest "rival" in the conference. They were on the road. All
of these things usually result in a very focused effort. That doesn't always
mean a win, but it usually means a tough, hard-nosed, defense-minded effort.
Instead, they were soft and rolled over. Is it something about New Jersey?
Because it was the same way they played in the conference finals.

The next couple of games will be great indicators of where this team is. If
they respond the way they did to adversity last season-with an increased
emphasis on defense, rebounding and being tougher than the other guy-then
we'll know the recent spate of bad games was just a slip. If we see more of
the same softness and seemingly tired legs, we'll know there's a greater
problem. After all, there was no hiding the message yesterday's game
delivered. Now we see how the C's respond.

As for the roster... get used to it. There may be minor tweaking, but there
just isn't enough of value there to make any significant changes. I've also
read from a couple of "sources" the rumored Kedrick-for-Loren Woods and
Minny's No. 1 deal. That's the kind of trade you can expect-no real impact.
The C's just don't have the juice to do anything of significance. The best
hope for help comes from the new owners. If they'll open the purse strings
just a little (which I doubt-this season, at least), then there may be some
scrap heap help out there waiting to join a contender (like Jimmy Jackson
with the Kings).

And on the offense... It is what it is. It's going to look terrible at times
(and yesterday was especially bad-two assists in the first half). But it's
also going to be OK when things are clicking. When the team is passing and
moving a little, they actually get a decent number of baskets in the paint.
When they get stagnant, which they did yesterday and have been quite a bit
lately, it results in forced shots from all over the floor. And the fast
break... Forget it. The C's can't run it. It's amazing to me, but it's the
truth. The simple concepts of passing on the break are lost on this bunch.
You'd think simply by repeated trial-and-error they'd figure it out
themselves (since they obviously aren't being coached on it), but they
don't. They keep doing the same "I'll take it myself" crap every time. It's
to the point where they come down with a 2-on-1 and I'm screaming "pull it
out!"

OK, started to rant a little there. Cooling off... Anyway, this team has
responded well to these types of situations in the past. Let's give them the
chance to respond again.

Mark