Re: Just a thought -

of shooting, if there
> is contact such as that by Stoudemire, a foul must be
called.  Of course
> anyone who drives to the hoop will have all the inertia
heading in that
> direction, but there is no way it could be an offensive
foul that far
> underneath unless the he flails his arm or wards off
the defender in some
> manner.  But Stoudemire came across and committed the
act of hitting the
> shooter.
>
> It was a foul.
>
> Cecil

I don't think it had to be a flagrant foul, although it
was clearly more aggressive in intent than Vin's
subsequent "flagrant"... which raises the question of
partiality.

But I fully agree with Cecil that it couldn't be a
borderline foul. Imagine what the NBA would be like if
players could take a midair "charge" like that with no
fear of an infraction?

It is not merely possible but EASY to slam someone off
balance in the air and make it look like "incidental"
contact, because your hands are in an innocent position.
Where the defenders hands are located at the time has
nothing to do with how reckless midair contact of any
kind is.

I think this incident of ref error was so over-the-top,
that it may result in some good for the balance of the
year. Its akin to a major hazing incident gone bad, as
opposed to a full season of routine minor bullying that
goes unreprimanded. What may have started out as a joke
these refs knew they could get away with, ended up
costing Paul Pierce his front teeth.

It is at least possible that the authority figures (the
refs) will look at the game and realize league-wide that,
hey, maybe enough is enough. My wife thinks Pierce should
actually sue the league to make his point, and I can
almost see where she's coming from. (Of course, women
probably care more about their teeth.) It would make for
an interesting trial. The video evidence would seem
pretty damning, certainly even without a Tommy voiceover,
because it wasn't just that particular non-call but a
game long pattern of even more glaring bad calls.

But I still wish the Celtics had taken care of business
first and won the damn game, rather than let it get to
them. The game was called pretty fairly in the final six
minutes, I thought. Or in any case, it wasn't a factor in
our ultimate loss/choke.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?