Joe Johnson

I guess if you went by just one big game (like the Pitino
regime did with Jerome Moiso) then Joe Johnson has to
grade higher than Richard Jefferson in dribbling,
jumpshot and playmaking. I'd say even considerably
higher. Joe Johnson may even be ahead in shooting off the
dribble too, although not in terms of pure athleticism
and defense.

He's a tease, the stats completely bear that out. But I
can see how in a one day workout he could outshine
Jefferson. It's a shame that this happened, because
Jefferson would have been a good Boston Celtic. Joe
Johnson must have been hard to pass up, but there is
probably some sort of lesson to learn from there.

When Chris Wallace and Leo Papile made that evaluation,
Joe Johnson was also a little over 12 months younger than
Jefferson. One full year is not trivial, at that young
age.

Even precocious talent and obvious team basketball skills
aren't everything, as he's demonstrating. I wonder how
this guy will look when he's a 25 or 26-year-old, and no
longer has to defer to his elders. Is it a matter of
deferring to veterans, or is he a floater with less than
adequate heart?

However it turns out, I'm more impressed with Tony Delk.
In games like last night, Delk almost looks like he's
holding back some of his "explosivity" in order to fit
the program. The guy twice showed shooting range out to
26 feet, and he also showed he can drive for layups in
the halfcourt set or pull up for a soft jumper. He's a
complete offensive package. His release on that pull up
is straight out of the Michael Jordan video library. And
while so many spot-up pure shooters will miss when forced
to dribble, Delk actually takes a lot of his even open 3-
pointers off a dribble. This was more than an even trade.
We're set for three more years at that spot, as Antoine
and Pierce enter their prime years.

And Antoine and Pierce would not have second round
playoff experience if not for the Rogers rental. Given
that the trade also allowed Boston to win its first two
playoff series in a decade, it was by no means a
completely blown draft by the brain trust. The best
player available drafting approach led to a very
important trade.

I think the real "sweet spot" we missed was not at 10 and
11. There were so many duds there that its unfair to pick
on just Boston. At 21, drafting Red's guy Forte was
unfortunate with a lot of impact pointguards still on the
board (Arenas, Tinsley and Parker).

Joe H.

p.s. Forte is another all-around natural basketball
player who has yet to find his mark. I think that can
happen when he moves back to shooting guard and adds some
strength to his 6-4 frame. Since he's never playing
anyway, behind Desmond Mason, Barry, the Glove and Kenny
Anderson, he ought to go on a serious weight lifting
regimen, even if it throws off his shooting touch from
one day to the next. If he eventually makes it as a
pointguard once Kenny leaves, I'd be surprised but more
power to him.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?