Rebounds and Tony Battie

Gradually, the Celtics are closing on parity in terms of
rebounds per games, one of the remaining negative team
stats.

Surprisingly, Walker is averaging more defensive rebounds
this year (6.6) than his career average (6.4). But he's
averaging just 1.2 offensive boards, a big drop by more
than half from his career stats. Hence the career low
numbers (7.8). He'll probably have to pick up all of it
on the offensive end in order to get back up to around 9
boards per.

Paul Pierce is a mirror image, doubling his offensive
board work (2.2) compared to each and any of his past
three NBA seasons. Pierce, incidentally, is also
averaging a career high in defensive boards at 6.2.

Along with Tony Battie, the Celtics have three players at
or around 8 rebounds per game. Considering that none of
these guys have missed games, that's a pretty solid stat.
Its like having three 35-homerun hitters.

Meanwhile, based on the weakness of the ballot choices,
one can almost make a rational case for Tony Battie
making the All Star team.

I'm not sure if Jermaine O'Neil is even listed at center
on the ballot, nor does he play there.

Brian Grant and Kurt Thomas are both listed as centers,
but team record tends to come into play in the All Star
selection process. If Allan Houston (or their best
player, Sprewell)makes the team, Thomas shouldn't.
Whatever the case, few think of either Grant or Thomas
as "All Star centers", any more than we think of Rodney
Rogers or Aaron Williams in those terms.

The other quality post scoring threat, Zydrunas
Ilgauskus, is shooting .369 from the field on a bad team.

Its hard to picture, but Brad Miller may have the best
numbers for the job. But the fact that the Pacers may
have multiple representatives, including Jermaine O'Neil,
may force the issue.

After that, it becomes a race between Ben Wallace, Tony
Battie, Magloire and Theo Ratliff. Not one of these
players currently averages double-figure scoring, so
Battie is hardly at any handicap. Ben Wallace averages
6.5 ppg. Ratliff is around 8 ppg.

With a little extra on-line voter turnout (that's our job)
to push Bat Man into the top-five, and maybe an expanded
role and minutes this month from Obie (TB averages just
28 mpg), Battie might have a shot at the All Star game,
crazy as it sounds. That's especially true if Boston goes
on a December run like they did last year, where they got
to 10-games over .500.

We still haven't come up with even a starting center for
the East. Ultimately, the All Star head coach (Isiah?)
will probably stack the East with extra wing and power
forwards, clearly the EC's strength.

I presume Ben Wallace will win the popular vote at
center, based on name recognition. Am I leaving anyone
else out?

All in all, Tony B. may not realize it but he has all the
motivation he'll need to keep on playing hard this month,
with solid production on the boards and on blocked shots.
Its easy to fall into the mid-winter doldrums when you
are only getting four or five shots a game, and nursing
injuries. I think there is a puny chance that he'll even
be in the running this year, but if he plays well this
month and next, it will at least be something to build
on. He's having a borderline All Star year already in
terms of boards, blocks and FG%.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?