NYT

The NYT has a lengthy profile today of Knicks coach Don
Chaney, one of five players on Tommy Heinsohn's 1974
Boston Celtics to become a head coach in the NBA.

There's some interesting stuff about his impoverished
background, racism in the South back then etc. Chaney won
two rings with the Celtics, and played with Bill Russell,
Dave Cowens and Larry Bird.

There's a nice quote about the old Celtics mentoring
system, pasted below. I just hope Kedrick Brown isn't
sitting next to Walter McCarty tonight. ;-)

Joe H.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/06/sports/basketball/06KNIC
.html

"That's more than a coincidence, for sure," Chaney
said. "When you're in the Celtics' system, the one thing
they thrived on was teaching and fundamentals. When I
first got there as a rookie, they placed me with a
veteran player, and each time that veteran came out of
the game, I had to sit by him and he would go over the
game with me play by play, and I would ask him questions.
So that's where the process of thinking like a coach
began."

p.s. All the NY papers this week are running profiles of
LeBron James, who has grown to 6-8 and plays pointguard.
They say he shoots like Ray Allen, passes like Magic
Johnson. Danny Ainge is quoted in Newsday saying "if I
were a GM, there are only four or five NBA players that I
wouldn't trade to get him right now." That's a lot of
hype for a kid who shot 59% on freethrows as a Junior.
He'll play Oak Hill next week on ESPN2.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?