Strickland Says: Pay Me More or I'm Leaving

Hello Tim Hardaway....

Strickland, Celtics at loggerheads

By Joe Vieira, Globe Correspondent, 8/23/2002

The last of five Celtics to enter the offseason as a free agent,
shooting guard Erick Strickland could be ready to jump ship if
management doesn't budge from its offer of a one-year contract for
$699,935 - the league minimum for a five-year veteran.

 Speaking at the Jamaica Plain Community Center yesterday, where he was
taking part in the dedication of new basketball courts at Boston English
High School and running a camp for local kids, Strickland - who would
fill the Celtics' 12th and final roster spot - made it clear the Celtics
need to ante up to retain his services.

''You must understand that I know this place,'' he said. ''I like the
city and I've gotten to know the organization, and I like the strides
that we made last season.

''But I'm getting old in this league, and this is about my options. If
someone offers me a better deal, I'm not going to turn it up. I'm just
looking to see that the situation is the best one for me and my
future.''

Strickland, a six-year NBA veteran, turned down a one-year, $2.6 million
guaranteed contract with the Memphis Grizzlies to sign a one-year deal
with the Celtics for $653,350 prior to last season. He said giving the
Celtics a hometown team discount by signing for the league minimum again
is not an option.

''I did that last year,'' he said. ''I'm six years in this league now,
and I need to worry about my future. I can't keep doing that. I have to
look at the best deal available.''

The chance for Strickland, 28, to step into the role of starting point
guard - after the departure of Kenny Anderson in the Vin Baker trade -
also won't be enough to reel in the 6-foot-3-inch player, who reiterated
his desire for financial security. ''[The point guard] situation is
definitely a pro in this situation [with Boston], but it's not the most
important thing right now.''

According to Strickland, he has talked to a number of NBA teams, but has
only met with Indiana - a meeting he said ''went good.'' He expects to
sign on somewhere within the next week or two, but if not, then
definitely by the beginning of training camp Oct. 1. He did not rule out
the possibility of returning to the Celtics, although general ganager
Chris Wallace has said Boston will not sign a 12th man for anything more
than the veteran league minimum.

This story ran on page E2 of the Boston Globe on 8/23/2002.
) Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.