ESPN on injury risks

I hope the World Championships will be a coming out party
for Paul Pierce. It may be the first time Europe and the
rest of the world get to see his star qualities. On the
other hand, ESPN puts a somewhat negative spin on this
tournament, with Peter May noting that no NBA 1st or 2nd
team players will participate for USA and Frank Hughes
suggesting that guys like Paul Pierce risk injury by
playing in too many games. Pasted below is what Hughes
wrote. It is purely speculation, but still has big
time "knock on wood" qualities. I don't see the big deal,
given that the tournament is at home and Paul's youth.
But he did play in 97 games last year and training camp
begins in September if I'm not mistaken.

Joe

p.s. the Rodney Rogers ESPN radio report is bad news. If
he signs with NJ for anything near 2 million, I'll be
disappointed. When he wasn't busy dissing Rogers with
lame offers, Chris Wallace sped right ahead and spent 1.8
or so on Waltah, Bruno and JR Bremer. All we can do is
root for the new guys we added and hope they do better
than the guys we lost. Go Bruno! Go Waltah! There must be
some story behind it....something we don't know.

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/hughes_frank/1416040.html

Payton, who never complains -- at least not about his own
health -- even admitted that the additional competition
took its toll on his freak body. When Scottie Pippen was
playing, he often said that his back problems were a
result of all the additional time he spent competing in
the Olympics.

It is an honor, to be sure. And it is a once-in-a-
lifetiime experience, one that most players would love to
have the opportunity to go through. But this is why you
are seeing younger rosters being put together by USA
Basketball, because the oldsters have realized that the
additional toll it takes on their bodies is not worth it
when it comes to what essentially amounts to two straight
seasons of basketball with very little break.

And don't be surprised if you see guys like Ray Allen and
Michael Finley and Andre Miller and Paul Pierce suffer
some nagging injuries this coming season -- though they
are fortunate that the World Championships are taking
place in Indianapolis and not half a world away, like the
2000 Olympics.

---
L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?